Cutler Hammer Screws

Status
Not open for further replies.

rich000

Maybe it is just me, but lately, when installing a Cutler Hammer CH panel, I have issues with the cover screws. They have the course threads so they should just go in, but lately they are not going in or are really tough. Anyone else noticing this? Possible manufacture defect?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I notice that the 1st install is like plowing new gorund, but I attributed it to aging fingers :grin:

mivey

Are you using a SQUARE tip driver?
If it is a square drive screw. Among commonly available screws, square drive screws are my preference, followed by Phillips, with slotted being my least favorite. I also like the Torx drive screws but they are not as common.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I notice that the 1st install is like plowing new gorund, but I attributed it to aging fingers :grin:

I believe that the first pass is actually cutting the threads into the metal can of the panel. We always use a cordless drill to save the wrist. :)

rich000

I am talking about tough to cut even with a screw gun with a square tip.

Heck yeah power tools! Best investment so far has been my DeWalt 7.2V screwdriver. Great for panels, trimming out receptacles, and general all around screw-driving stuff.

ty

Rich,
my company only installs CH loadcenters, for many years.
Have never had this problem with more than one or two.
And I mean one or two holes, not loadcenters.
They typically are tight and the screw needs to make it's own threads.

I wonder what factory produced them. Maybe there was a run where some machine wasn't punching the holes properly.

Do you have a CH rep?

satcom

Rich,
my company only installs CH loadcenters, for many years.
Have never had this problem with more than one or two.
And I mean one or two holes, not loadcenters.
They typically are tight and the screw needs to make it's own threads.

I wonder what factory produced them. Maybe there was a run where some machine wasn't punching the holes properly.

Do you have a CH rep?

We used CH Classic for 3 generations and they were the best built and quality panels ever built, then they changed the bus and ever since there has been nothing but problems, as he said the screws are a problem, and the breakers falling off the bus made us leave the product after many years, the quality and design have changed, and now we look at them as just another junk panel.

ty

We used CH Classic for 3 generations and they were the best built and quality panels ever built, then they changed the bus and ever since there has been nothing but problems, as he said the screws are a problem, and the breakers falling off the bus made us leave the product after many years, the quality and design have changed, and now we look at them as just another junk panel.

Satcom,
you stated this in another thread.

But, again, I have never had this issue. What breakers fall off the buss?
Have YOU personnally seen this, or was this reports back from guys in the field?
If you had a breaker fall off the buss, that CH breaker was probably missing the hold down clip. I have personnaly installed hundreds of thousands of CH breakers over my career. Only ever saw one loose if the clip was missing.

satcom

Satcom,
you stated this in another thread.

But, again, I have never had this issue. What breakers fall off the buss?
Have YOU personnally seen this, or was this reports back from guys in the field?
If you had a breaker fall off the buss, that CH breaker was probably missing the hold down clip. I have personnaly installed hundreds of thousands of CH breakers over my career. Only ever saw one loose if the clip was missing.

The single pole CH Classic breakers, were always a nice tight fit, until they changed the buss design, and after that the problem started, I not only seen it myself, and other area contractors were having the same problems, so I looked at a few of their jobs, when I called CH they said they were not aware of any problems, so since I knew the product had a problem, I was not going to chance exposing myself to down the line problems, the breakers had the clips on, but the new stile buss does not seem to have eniough meat to hold the breaker clip, as I said we loved CH and we used them for over 3 generations, why they changed a class act panel I will never know, If it works don't fix it, I guess they saved 10 cents, bit I know I was not the only one who notice the problem.

eds

I have had the same issue with the screws, I now take the screw and tap into the hole before putting the panel cover on. I also seem to get panel covers that are warped and need to be tweeked to get them to set right. The other things that I have noticed is the have taken the spring clip off of the breaker and have changed to a combo head on the breaker itself, I personally liked the old screw head better. I also have installed ch series panels for 20 years and thought they were the top of the line, now I am not so sure

Howard Burger

agree, CH screws are poor quality

agree, CH screws are poor quality

Yes, the screws as issued with CH panels stink. The last panel I did I pitched the screws and used SqD screws. I personally like the finer thread screws of SD rather than the coarse screws of CH. Better head too, takes large flat drive or LR tip.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
The single pole CH Classic breakers, were always a nice tight fit, until they changed the buss design, and after that the problem started, I not only seen it myself, and other area contractors were having the same problems, so I looked at a few of their jobs, when I called CH they said they were not aware of any problems, so since I knew the product had a problem, I was not going to chance exposing myself to down the line problems, the breakers had the clips on, but the new stile buss does not seem to have eniough meat to hold the breaker clip, as I said we loved CH and we used them for over 3 generations, why they changed a class act panel I will never know, If it works don't fix it, I guess they saved 10 cents, bit I know I was not the only one who notice the problem.
I've gone on service calls where for one reason or another the cover was loose against the breakers or the cover was missing, the breakers would become loose from the bus, in at least one case when an adjacent door was slammed. I'm not sure if the designer of the panel meant for the cover to hold the breakers tight?

The coarse cover screws sea like they're hard to keep straight when starting, as if they have a wobble. I've had trouble with some in existing panels that came out easy but were very difficult to start back in.

In general I'm not impressed with CH. I'm glad they haven't had any complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.