What is considered more than one service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cppoly

I can't find a clear definition of what a separate service is. Does one service mean only one service point?

230.2 says only one service is permitted to a building unless permitted by the exceptions. One of the exceptions to having another service is a service greater than 2,000 amps. So does that mean every service greater than 2,000 amps is a separate service or does just simply mean if the service is greater than 2,000 amps another service is permitted (at another location or same location)? And if so, another service would require a separate service point?

Maybe another way of what I'm asking is if you have one 10,000 amp service brought into a building is that five services or just one service? Can you have two services at one service point?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
A service is whatever the utility company is willing to provide. We are designing a building for which the utility will be providing five services, each rated 4000 amps. They will all originate in a utility vault, and they will all connect to switchboards that are in the same room. Is that what you are asking?

iwire

Staff member
Maybe another way of what I'm asking is if you have one 10,000 amp service brought into a building is that five services or just one service? Can you have two services at one service point?

That is one service. the number of services is not determined by the rating of the service.

The exception you mention is an option in case you need more than 2,000 amps and the utility cannot provide it with one service.

david

I can't find a clear definition of what a separate service is. Does one service mean only one service point?

230.2 says only one service is permitted to a building unless permitted by the exceptions. One of the exceptions to having another service is a service greater than 2,000 amps. So does that mean every service greater than 2,000 amps is a separate service or does just simply mean if the service is greater than 2,000 amps another service is permitted (at another location or same location)? And if so, another service would require a separate service point?

Buildings are connected to the utility by a service drop or a service lateral.

Each separate Utility connection to a building by either a service drop or service lateral it is considered a separate service.

That is each time a connection is not a parallel connection connected together at both the utility transformer and the buildings service conductors service equipment that is a separate service to the building or structure.

The one exception is in the case of service laterals 1/0 AWG and larger. You can have up to six separate utility laterals connected together at the utility end but landed to six separate service disconnecting means as long as the six disconnecting means are grouped together at one location

david

Am I just missing it or does the NEC clearly define what a separate service is?

No it defines what a service is
Separation implies location in relationship to each other.
Two services do not have to be located in a separate location to have more than one service.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
No it defines what a service is
Separation implies location in relationship to each other.
Two services do not have to be located in a separate location to have more than one service.
Just as two sets of service conductors landing at different locations do not necessarily imply two services.

Status
Not open for further replies.