Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Running quadraplex or triplex cable pole to pole

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,880

    Running quadraplex or triplex cable pole to pole

    I have tried to search for pictures of this installation. If I am running this cable to feed something 500' away and I am going wood pole to wood pole(about 9 of them) what happens at each pole. Do I just support the cable and if so what can I use. Are insulators needed? I guess I have to splice at some points due too then length of the run or can you get a spool that long.

    As I said in an earlier post I really feel that there is no better place to get install information than from an electrician. It is amazing how many people in the "office", estimators etc. just assume to a degree about an installation and don't really know what it entails. I don't want to be one of those people. I keep binders with pictures, details, cuts etc. I REALLY do appreciate the feedback and would gladly help in anyway I could....and don't say don't ask anymore questions..lol...

    Thanks very much

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,100
    Look no futher than your local utility company, they have it down pat, and probably can steer you in the right direction on where to get the proper supports.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,880
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly1 View Post
    Look no futher than your local utility company, they have it down pat, and probably can steer you in the right direction on where to get the proper supports.
    So I would contact Con Ed for info on $$ etc.????hmmm,,,thanks

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,849

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,880
    Thanks very much Satcom.....just what I was looking for.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,100
    Quote Originally Posted by horsegoer View Post
    So I would contact Con Ed for info on $$ etc.????hmmm,,,thanks
    Up north the utilitiy companys may not be as friendly, but most of the EMC's here in the south will help out any way they can.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,754
    it might be a good idea to get a price for stringing your wire from a line crew. A lot of poco's sub out line work, and you can hire the crew to string your cable for you. Lightgauge triplex is easy for your own guys to install - all you need is B-clamps and insulators or hooks on the poles and a lift. But heavy wire requires a few more tools and a little experience.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,880
    Quote Originally Posted by nakulak View Post
    it might be a good idea to get a price for stringing your wire from a line crew. A lot of poco's sub out line work, and you can hire the crew to string your cable for you. Lightgauge triplex is easy for your own guys to install - all you need is B-clamps and insulators or hooks on the poles and a lift. But heavy wire requires a few more tools and a little experience.
    Thahat was very helpful NAKULAK. We will be running triplex and quadruplex cables from #6 up to 2/0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •