Does NEC code prohibit electrical equpment support rod extended from other trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahualin

Does NEC code prohibit installing electrical support rod from mechanical equpment support rod? We have overhead conduit hung from ceiling. A lot mechanical euqipment are above the conduit so we extended our rods from their rods since they are the same size. Is it allowed by code? Thanks.

raider1

Staff member
The NEC does not address this situation.

Provided that the mechanical systems rod is capable of supporting the additional weight of the conduit I don't see anything wrong with this.

Chris

dahualin

Is that going to creat any problem such as if mechanical maintenance guy remove their support for some reason then electrical conduit will lose their support?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Not an NEC issue, but around here,, it would not fly. I promise you that
'Splain? I have used butterflies on existing rods as well as added strut to existing trapezes and never had an issue.

You shouldn't hang stuff directly from pipe and ducts, but sharing structure-supported hardware should be okay.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is that going to creat any problem such as if mechanical maintenance guy remove their support for some reason then electrical conduit will lose their support?
"If you don't play fair, I'm gonna take my hangers and go home!" :mad:

quogueelectric

In 1984 one foreman told me dont hang off any other trades racks One of the mechanics said whats the matter you afraid something might end up being grounded?? He was laid off that friday.................... Nuf said............

:grin::grin:
'Splain? I have used butterflies on existing rods as well as added strut to existing trapezes and never had an issue.

You shouldn't hang stuff directly from pipe and ducts, but sharing structure-supported hardware should be okay.

I am just a junior guy here, but I agree with this and add one small caveat of making sure the total load is not in excess of the capacity of the original hanger. I think one response either said or eluded to this. We have incredibly picky inspectors around my area and have not had a problem jumping on someone else's rack..trapeze that is :cool:

Strahan

Is there a code section that applies to this? Say you would install a conduit hanger to an air line?

mcclary's electrical

You 're probably right. If you used couplings and threaded rods.I based my answer on a slightly different situation.A month ago I failed an "above ceiling inspection" becuse the HVAC had (2) 3/8" threaded rods dropped down from red iron z bar. They had strut from rod to rod to support duct. I came off the strut with ceiling wire to support MC cable. They failed it and had me move it to the structural steel. Right or wrong?

jeremysterling

You 're probably right. If you used couplings and threaded rods.I based my answer on a slightly different situation.A month ago I failed an "above ceiling inspection" becuse the HVAC had (2) 3/8" threaded rods dropped down from red iron z bar. They had strut from rod to rod to support duct. I came off the strut with ceiling wire to support MC cable. They failed it and had me move it to the structural steel. Right or wrong?

Here in Austin you would be OK if the ceiling wire were painted yellow and tied to the grid below with the MC batwinged (caddy KX) to the wire.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I came off the strut with ceiling wire to support MC cable. They failed it and had me move it to the structural steel. Right or wrong?
In my opinion, if you could have done the same thing with your own strut, the fail was incorrect. I've seen nothing that says anything supporting wiring can't also support something else.

Wait, are you saying you tied a piece of ceiling-support wire from the HVAC strut to the ceiling grid? Hmm. I'm not sure about that. I'd ask for the exact article he's citing.

jeremysterling

I had my wires identified by red paint, bat winged to mc, then down to grid. They made me move it. IMO, the strut is stronger than the z bar

IMO, your install is good.

How does your inspector expect you to support a 2X4 troffer under a six foot across air duct? Bring your wires from the red iron through the duct?

As to the OP, if its my trapeze and I need the whole thing, I'll kick other trades off. But if they scab on, and not in my way, that's cool. I'll do it to them...;)

Volta

Is there a code section that applies to this? Say you would install a conduit hanger to an air line?

Sorry, I can't give you anything better than 110.12.

But as 300.11(B) restricts use of our raceways as support, ASME or similar may have a standard that restricts the use of compressed air lines for the support of other systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.