Neutral Prong

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSXR600

Is it a violation to install a nema 14-50R and only terminate the hot conductors. The circuit does not require a neutral.

jumper

How about 110.3(B). It was designed to be installed as 120/240 receptacle and installed with a ungrounded conductor.

You could be creating a potentially dangerous situation, if in the future a different piece of equipment is plugged in.

Why can't you install the correct receptacle?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Is it a violation to install a nema 14-50R and only terminate the hot conductors. The circuit does not require a neutral.
Not a direct violation, but a 110.3(B) violation if manufacturer's instructions do not include such a connection (which is quite likely).

Howard Burger

CA 50 instead?

CA 50 instead?

Short answer from me is I don't know. Can't think of why you'd have to install a neutral if you're not running a mwbc. Now, to avoid the issue entirely, have you looked at using a California 50 instead?

Check out a CS8265C by Hubbell.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If you have another 14-50 R on the premises with the grounded conductor present, I'd say you might be in violation of 406.3(D)

Howard Burger

brain fart

brain fart

Ignore my suggestion of the CA50. The CA 50 has a neutral, too. The Hubble diagram I looked at showed 'G' for the third prong, it grounds on the shell. Sorry.

Volta

Along with 110.3(B), I'd call it on 406.3(A).

"... Grounding-type receptacles shall be installed only on circuits of the voltage class and current for which they are rated, except ..."

A NEMA 14-50 is rated for a 120/240 volt circuit, not a straight 240 volt circuit.

Fine to connect the male 14-50 to a 3 wire cord with no neutral, but bad practice on the female device.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
This is for a peice of equipment not sure what it is located in a lab.
The first question is what type of plug is furnished with the equipment under consideration.

If unknown, the appropriate receptacle configuration would be a 6-50R (assuming a 208V or 240V circuit).

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
First hit on google for "hubbell 6-50r": "http://www.buypowergear.com/detail.aspx?ID=4168" or even the 5th hit: "http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/Hubbell-HBL9367-Receptacle/85764/Cat/1338?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=googlebase&cvsfa=63&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=3835373634" (Plumbers Surplus????)

Now try to find an L6-50R...

Status
Not open for further replies.