As is, No disclosure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently went with a general contractor neighbor to assess a residence being purchased out of foreclosure.
After the assessments were made and the permit applied for, the application was denied because all of the items in the villages "Pre Sale Inspection" were not addressed in the application.
Apparently the contractor and the village were not used to a bank saying "We chose not to disclose any inspections."

Point 1 being, if you get asked to work on foreclosed properties, don't be surprised if the seller is not completely up front with occupancy requirements.

Fortunately, my bid was accepted even though I proposed work the other electricians did not think need to be done.
With the basement having been flooded by a busted pipe, I proposed not only replacing the existing panel, but moving the panel as there was only two feet of space between it and the furnace, as well as proposing battery back up hard wired interconnected smoke detectors in each bedroom and on each level.
Both items were in the villages inspection report we received with the permit when it was finally issued.

Point 2, even if it is not on the inspection sheet, if it is code, it is up to you to point it out and bid it.

Gary

e57

Laws differ place to place...
Here you would deal with a buyer, and a seller - a bank for each. As it stands now: Seller would disclose as little as possible... Buyer might inspect - even invent things to force the seller to disclose... Barter the amount of value for the discrepancy, force correction if major... In the recent past - you bought the place as is - buyer beware... At no point would a village, town, county or city step in to protect either party.

Status
Not open for further replies.