Requirements for residential boat docks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWLLC

I've been asked to give an estimate to bring a residential boat dock up to code because the owner is about to sell the property. Are there any special requirements for residential boat docks? I see that 555 doesn't apply.

david

I've been asked to give an estimate to bring a residential boat dock up to code because the owner is about to sell the property. Are there any special requirements for residential boat docks? I see that 555 doesn't apply.

Did you look at Article 682

luckylerado

Wiring method and enclosures suitable for the environment. GFCI protection per 210.8. I would recommend the lighting be GFI protected also FWIW. Grounding and bonding of all metal parts especially ladders and handrails.

682 applies if not covered by other articles but if it floats, I believe 553 applies based on the definition of building. Looks like we may finally get a residential dock article next year.

What lake is it?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
take the dock away, what applies to the body of water or electrical equipment next to the body of water?
In that case 682 applies. 682.3 sends you to 555 if there is boat traffic. However 555 does not apply to residential docks, so I stand by my statement that the rules in Chapters 1-4 apply to residential docks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is my opinion that just the general rules in Chapters 1-4 apply to that application.
Of course Chapters 1-4 would apply but I am with you in that non of the other chapters seem to apply for residential docks. In fact, Art. 555 makes some of it clear

555.1 said:
Private, noncommercial docking facilities constructed
or occupied for the use of the owner or residents of the
associated single-family dwelling are not covered by this
article.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Of course Chapters 1-4 would apply but I am with you in that non of the other chapters seem to apply for residential docks. In fact, Art. 555 makes some of it clear

That being said, for this practical instance would there be any reason not to apply the requirements of 555 aside from cost?

luckylerado

...non of the other chapters seem to apply...

If this is true, wouldn't it make 682 applicable per the scope of that article?

682.1 Scope
This article applies to the installation of electrical wiring for, and
equipment in and adjacent to, natural or artificially made bodies
of water not covered by other articles in this Code, such as but
not limited to aeration ponds, fish farm ponds, storm retention
basins, treatment ponds, irrigation (channels) facilities.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
If this is true, wouldn't it make 682 applicable per the scope of that article?

682.1 Scope
This article applies to the installation of electrical wiring for, and
equipment in and adjacent to, natural or artificially made bodies
of water not covered by other articles in this Code, such as but
not limited to aeration ponds, fish farm ponds, storm retention
basins, treatment ponds, irrigation (channels) facilities.

One could argue for 682 and IMO it looks like it should apply but when you look at the article it really doesn't appear to cover docks... JMO... FWIW

Cavie

Once you figured out 682, (not a problem unless the dock floats) 120 receptacle must be provided and GFI. SCH 80 pvc is the conduit of choice. Lift motors must be GFI 120 and 230 volt. bond all metal parts.

david

In that case 682 applies. 682.3 sends you to 555 if there is boat traffic. However 555 does not apply to residential docks, so I stand by my statement that the rules in Chapters 1-4 apply to residential docks.

One could argue for 682 and IMO it looks like it should apply but when you look at the article it really doesn't appear to cover docks... JMO... FWIW

I agree that 555.3 is not enforceable to docks associated with a single dwelling (non- commercial) I would not agree that article 682 is not applicable to bodies of water that have commercial docks associated with those bodies of water. 555.3 kicks in as specified. The most restrictive modifications for portions , as article 682 is coupled with article 555

Because
“Wiring and equipment in or adjacent to natural or artificially made bodies of water shall comply with the applicable provisions of other articles of this Code, except as modified by this article”.

I believe includes wiring supplying equipment on or adjacent to bodies of water on single family properties . I can see how a dock on a single family property excludes article 555, I can not see how a dock on a body of water excludes article 682 single family or commercial.

At a youth camp in a field where a creek ran through they built a swimming pool out of block (CMU’s) and then built a dam for the fresh water creek, flooded the field including the swimming pool.
I would say neither article 680 or article 682 would be excluded I would apply the most restrictive modifications between the two articles

They had boats on the lake that the flood created and a island they built a small dock at the shore and the island article 555 article 680 article 682

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.