Kitchen Lighitng Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you install the lighting switches for kitchen lighting, outdoor lighting, etc. under the kitchen cabinets?

Because the designer of the kitchen wants everything hidden. You would have to reach around the first cabinet coining from the exterior door to turn the switches on/off. Im looking for an answer to tell her why it cant/shouldnt be done.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Because the designer of the kitchen wants everything hidden. You would have to reach around the first cabinet coining from the exterior door to turn the switches on/off. Im looking for an answer to tell her why it cant/shouldnt be done.

So, because it's stupid to hide controls for things is not a viable answer?

Remember, the Code is not a design manual and is a bare minimum standard.

I am glad this designer doesn't design cars or tools.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
So, because it's stupid to hide controls for things is not a viable answer?

Remember, the Code is not a design manual and is a bare minimum standard.

I am glad this designer doesn't design cars or tools.

Maybe he designs hood latches.

mgookin

Can you install the lighting switches for kitchen lighting, outdoor lighting, etc. under the kitchen cabinets?

You mean under the wall hung cabinets, right?

On first read I thought you mean inside the cabinets.
On second read I thought you meant behind the kickplate on the floor.
On third read I see it says "under the kitchen cabinets"...
And that's all the reading I'm going to do! :)

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
You mean under the wall hung cabinets, right?

On first read I thought you mean inside the cabinets.
On second read I thought you meant behind the kickplate on the floor.
On third read I see it says "under the kitchen cabinets"...
And that's all the reading I'm going to do! :)

Think about that when a person is trying to get instructions on how to turn the lights on over the phone. The conversation probably be quite similar.

"I thought you meant inside the cabinets.
Then, I thought you meant the kickplate on the floor.
Now you are saying "under the kitchen cabinets"...the countertop is under the cabinet.
What idiot decided to hide the effin light switches???"

:D

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am working on a million dollar home with designers from NYC. Almost all light fixtures on the interior are surface mounted and they are calling for porcelain (Keyless) with silver crowned bulbs... LOL Put one in and the owner said it doesn't light up anything but a small spot on the ceiling--- Yep. So we put in regular A19 bulbs.

The kitchen cabinets are made out of plywood-- not birch plywood or oak plywood, etc, Plywood. Even the countertops are plywood--- It is a big turn from what we are used to doing. They are going for the unfinished look for sure

user 100

What do you mean by "designer"? Is it the actual homeowner or a pro? And if it is a pro, is the ho ok w/ sw location?- a lot of the designing types are weird and suggest stuff thats impractical and odd.

As said above what is being proposed is fine codewise w/ the details provided so far. If the ho is ok w/ it, then put them where they want, get paid, and take off- any inconvenience is their problem.:happyyes:

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I sub from a company which has an in-house designer who likes to see no electrical on a backsplash.

Plugmold on gfci breakers

Surface light switches under the upper cabinets. Stub out minimal wiring - switch loops if possible, use Wiremold to front of cabinets and Decora switches in 1" deep boxes

Garbage disposal gets a plug-in air switch (like a Jacuzzi tub) cut into the countertop, and the recep gets fed hot

Add under cabinet lighting stubs and you have to really think where to stub out for ideal placement so Wiremolds aren't crossing each other

iwire

Staff member
I am working on a million dollar home with designers from NYC. Almost all light fixtures on the interior are surface mounted and they are calling for porcelain (Keyless) with silver crowned bulbs... LOL Put one in and the owner said it doesn't light up anything but a small spot on the ceiling--- Yep. So we put in regular A19 bulbs.

The kitchen cabinets are made out of plywood-- not birch plywood or oak plywood, etc, Plywood. Even the countertops are plywood--- It is a big turn from what we are used to doing. They are going for the unfinished look for sure

:D

We converted an old mill to condos. They went for some industrial look. The ceilings were high so they supported the kitchen cabinets with uni-strut from the ceiling.

Just plain old galvanized uni-strut with sharp jagged ends waiting to rip open some skin

If you look through the photos here you can kind of see it. http://www.ashtonmill.com/cumberland-ri-apartments/the-river-lofts-at-ashton-mill/photos/

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That's too bad because the rest of the place at lower heights looks pretty nice. That unistrut is an eyesore especially when compared to the rest of the place.

I did a restaurant 30 years ago in an old mill. The designer used the t-bars etc for a hung ceiling with recessed cans on the ceiling but no tile in the spaces. The ceiling would just float out and end in various spots. With the old mill look above it didn't look bad but it was odd seeing a recessed can with a trim with flex going to it when you looked up. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.