How to fix a broken ufer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJRUBLE

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I do Single Family residential homes here in Southern California. I have 1 house that has the ufer sticking up about 2" above the footing. Clearly not enough to instal 3 clamps to to it when the bottom framing plate is installed. I informed the job superintendent about this and he informed the concrete contractor. The concrete contractors fix was to simply weld an extenstion on the ufer. IN the past I have required the concrete company who made the mistake install a ground rod. Does anybody know what the proper procedure is to fix this situation. Is it legal to weld on to the ufer?

Thanks for your help.

Robert

mcclary's electrical

I do Single Family residential homes here in Southern California. I have 1 house that has the ufer sticking up about 2" above the footing. Clearly not enough to instal 3 clamps to to it when the bottom framing plate is installed. I informed the job superintendent about this and he informed the concrete contractor. The concrete contractors fix was to simply weld an extenstion on the ufer. IN the past I have required the concrete company who made the mistake install a ground rod. Does anybody know what the proper procedure is to fix this situation. Is it legal to weld on to the ufer?

Thanks for your help.

Robert

Yes, the weld is legal.

mcclary's electrical

I agree. Heck if tie wiring two sticks of rebar makes it continuous, than welding it solid definitly does.

The wording of the last sentence in 250 .52A (3) is what I based my answer on,like you said, tie wire makes it legal,I'm sure a weld is fine.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Thanks for your help.

Robert

Why are you installing three clamps on it?

KP2

If you were to drive 2 ground rods would that be a good replacement to the Ufer ground?

Or is their a specific need for the Ufer ground?

Just for my own info. I usaully hear them being used with cell towers and transformer pad's. Not residential.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you were to drive 2 ground rods would that be a good replacement to the Ufer ground?

Or is their a specific need for the Ufer ground?

Just for my own info. I usaully hear them being used with cell towers and transformer pad's. Not residential.

Like Volta said if it's present you are required to use it even in a single family dwelling or a detached garage.

kwired

Electron manager
Why are you installing three clamps on it?

If the OP is running a GEC to the CEE, and then making two other bonding jumpers to other equipment I can see three clamps. If there is no room for them why not tap the GEC itself?

If this is not the case then why are you installing three clamps on it, one will get the job done.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the OP is running a GEC to the CEE, and then making two other bonding jumpers to other equipment I can see three clamps. If there is no room for them why not tap the GEC itself?

If this is not the case then why are you installing three clamps on it, one will get the job done.

That was my thought. I see no reason to have three clamps on the CEE. Since the issue is that three clamps won't fit there may be an easier way to do this.

iwire

Staff member
Ufer was the name of a guy that did research about grounding.

http://www.psihq.com/iread/ufergrnd.htm

He came up with a system of concrete encased electrodes laid out in a specific way.

The NEC recognizes concrete electrodes but the specifications the NEC requires do not really match Mr Ufer's design, none the less many of us refer to NEC concrete encased electrodes as 'ufers'

See NEC 250.52(3)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Forgive my ignorance, but what's an "ufer" or "Ufer"?

Not ignorance...just unfamiliarity .. most of us did not know what an "outgoer" was until a recent post and I bet you knew :)
Honestly I can't recall why its a "UFER", but it refers to the concrete encased electrode in a footer system, 250.52(A)(3) in the NEC, CEE.

(sorry Bob, posted on top of you and your answer was more complete and informative)

RJRUBLE

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Broken ufer

Broken ufer

The ufer is the only ground provided. The concrete contractor is supposed to install a single 20 foot piece of rebar which is part of the slab reinforcement. He will bend it at the end so it will protrude through the footing/slab up under where the panel is tp be installed. The is what we attach to and use for the ground. The problem is that this concrete guy does not know how to use a tape measure and instead of the 6" I need in to work with I only have 2" or less. I will run the ground wire from the panel and clamp it to the ufer. 2 other clamps are used to ground the gas pipe and the CATV and Telephone service boxes. So the WELD is exposed above the slab/footing. It seems the repies assumed it was in the poured slab? It would be the same (kind of) if you had installed a ground rod. Then someone cut it off just above the slab. The re-attached it by welding it. Is there a way I can attach a sketch or picture. I am new to this forum.

Thanks,
Robert

iwire

Staff member
Robert, how can you tell what you are connecting to is a compliant concrete encased electrode?

Here it requires an electrical inspection before the concrete is poured.

Status
Not open for further replies.