Arizona Electrical Worker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

I hired a new guy. My ad read "Must have three years recent residential expieirence"
This guy knows nothing about how to wire a house . His excuse is "we don't do it like that in Arizona.

Does every body in Arizona live in a doby clay house or what?

electricmanscott

I hired a new guy. My ad read "Must have three years recent residential expieirence"
This guy knows nothing about how to wire a house . His excuse is "we don't do it like that in Arizona.

Does every body in Arizona live in a doby clay house or what?

Sounds more like a problem with the interviewer to me. ;)

Live in a what? :D

220/221

I gots me one of them there a dobys. It's even got a front porsh.

DSC00711.jpg

Even gots a smimmin hole

DSC02068.jpg

And a shack in the hills

DSC01756.jpg

Coause it gits a little chilly in Febuerry

prescott0310012.jpg

growler

He may not know how to wire a house but he must be a good salesman, he got you to hire him didn't he. This guy obviously has management potential. :D

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
They live in clay brick huts out thier. They use cactus mixed with doby clay for the roof. Then just a few wood poles putrudding out the sides.

They live in clay brick huts out there. They use cactus mixed with adobe clay for the roof. Then just a few wood poles protruding out the sides. (Fragment)

Most know how to read and write though. :D

220/221

That bungalow has wiring recessed in the walls and cielings.
What wiring method was used?

All residential wiring here is NM with plastic boxes. 200 amp, all in one meter/panel combo services are mounted outside.

All commercial is conduit/flex/MC.

AzVoltage

I run a Electrical Contracting business here in the Phoenix area. I recently wired an apartment that was destroyed in a fire. The entire apt. was gutted except for the block walls. So, it was a complete rewire as if it was a new building.

I had a friend contractor from Chicago area that was slow up there, so he came down to help me on this project. Up in IL, everything is in conduit, EMT indoors. Metal boxes, no NM at all. He suggested we go ahead and wire this apartment like he does in IL. I figured it wouldn't cost too much more and felt the end result would be really nice. So, we wired it all with EMT and THHN. Metal boxes the whole works.

The GC comes along and didn't know what we did. "What the heck is all this metal piping everywhere?" He didn't like it one bit. Also, we used different colors for each circuit. Purple, blue, yellow, black, orange.... He is so used to seeing romex with only black (or red) as the hots, he told me it was all wrong and I used the wrong color wiring everywhere. He wanted all black for the hots, white for the nuetrals. (we used grey on the arc fault circuits). He was certain there was no way the inspector would pass this.

He was so ready to have us pull it all out and redo it.

The inspector was very impressed.

Just goes to show how different regions have different methods. While one should definately consult with local modifications to the NEC, open minds should allow the electrician to decide the best method for the application.

e57

Also, we used different colors for each circuit. Purple, blue, yellow, black, orange...
(SF high-leg), C-phase 120, C-phase 277, A-phase 120, High-leg or B-phase 277 - respecitvely.... Although the code only spells out a few colors for identification - industry standards would have a few people rightfuly confused in a situation like that - by ID's of circuits in color as such, instead of voltage. And one of them being a direct code violation...

AzVoltage

It was my understanding that as long as there is only 120/240 in the building, we can use any color for circuit identification (even orange) , except for the grounded and grounding conductors, of course. If there was higher voltages in this building I would definately not use orange on the 120 circuits. In this case, we used the orange wire for interconnect on the smoke alarms....not for a circuit to the panel.

Last edited:

peter d

I figured it wouldn't cost too much more and felt the end result would be really nice. So, we wired it all with EMT and THHN. Metal boxes the whole works.

You "figured" it wouldn't cost too much more? Did you do any real figuring? :confused:

I can assure you there is a very large difference in price between NM and plastic boxes and EMT and metal boxes. I'm guessing this GC doesn't have a clue how much extra he paid for this job. ;)

AzVoltage

GC didn't pay anything more than my original contract price. The methods of wiring per contract were decided by the EC as long as it meets all codes. And yes we may have spent an extra $80. on boxes, if that. I know plastic is cheaper than metal but we only had 30 boxes. Not much difference (and that was our choice). He had other bids, I wasn't the lowest nor the highest. It was a small cracker box apartment in the lower rent side of town. So, if it was a larger project of course I would have gone with the traditional NM and plastic. However, it was small enough to give me a chance to do an all EMT job (which I rarely get to do due to higher costs). It was nice break from the norm, and didn't cost me much extra. Turned out really nice too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.