Relabel fixture max watt rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcclary's electrical

What code references are these ?08?? I thought it was ok to exceed the ul listing. In other words if UL states a 75 watt lamp in a fixture, by lowering the wattage you are exceeding ul and code requirements. I am not proposing to change the UL listing per say but under qualified supervision design the BC to only use screw in type LED lamp. 410.120

It's fine to put a 1.0 watt bulb in if you want,,,,you just can't size your brance circuit to the bulb. You size it to the max wattage allowed in the fixture

knickelj

Thank You

Thank You

We will be adding a new cir. but was just debating about the subject of "de-rating" a Luminaire. Everything, I see, in the code is to prevent exceeding the UL rating. Is there an article that really prevents my scenario? I hear everyone with the "thats not what you do". Agreed. Just looking for the article that proves it. Just debating. :) :)

I am not talking about putting a counterfeit or fake NRTL label on the thing. I am talking about a label that might say something like "Use 50W bulb - stock #XXXX"

..and I am not saying that you did. I merely pointed out the potential objection and confusion it may causes, in addition to the legal implications.
"The difficulty with any additional tags and labels is that it may not be distinguishable form the listed data."

As I commented at another post I find multiple labels and warnings, sometimes more than 10, on a single equipment not just esthetically appalling, but confusing. You don't know which one pertains to what, when quick action is required, you have to sift through a number of them and may miss the important ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.