Help trf primary taps

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD84

Nameplate shows 460/230 primary. I don't have any other connection diagram.

Was wired 240:208. Can I retap for 480:208?

xek6pt.jpg

2qw1kp3.jpg

MD84

The manufacturer did not have record of this catalog number. I asked for a similar connection diagram and I received the diagram above. I mentioned that I had more taps than the diagram shows. The rep said to just hook it up like shown and I would be OK. It doesn't look that straight forward to me.

By the time I had received all this information I had already installed a new transformer. It looks like a straight forward parallel for 230 and series for 460 arrangement. I just didn't feeling like screwing around with it.

If anyone has any information on this or could contribute a way to test and figure out the connections then please share your knowledge.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
.... The rep said to just hook it up like shown and I would be OK. It doesn't look that straight forward to me.
Looks like what you have is a dual voltage primary with voltage taps. perhaps nominal and one "+" and one "-".

More info perhaps as the day proceeds. Today's a busy day for me. I'll try to squeeze in what I can, when I can. It doesn't appear you'll be in a rush for the info now.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I believe your primary is configured something like this...

taps.gif

I couldn't see the terminals in the picture, and ribbon leads were hard to follow, so I'm not 100% sure this is the exact configuration. You should be able to remove the voltage tap jumpers and confirm winding and tap connections relative to each other.

MD84

Thank you. That helps a lot. It was confusing me that the voltage taps were labeled but the main winding taps were not.It is apparent from the diagram you provided that the main winding taps share number identification with the voltage taps. This was also confusing me.

The main winding taps are currently brought out to the primary input terminals. Since it is setup for 240 I will need to remove them from the terminals and determine which is which. I can then install jumpers to wire the windings in series for 480. I am guessing I will need to retap since nameplate voltage is 460. I am assuming using voltage taps 1,2,7,8,13,14 would get me closer to 208 with a 480 input.

As of now this transformer is spare. I would like to rewire it so that I know it is ready if needed. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.