New 20kw Generator and outdoor panel problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradp0024

Hey guy's, I work offshore and i'm not as up on residential as some. I'm in the process of finishing my new home and I want to install a Kohler 20kw with the 200 amp ATS. We have a panel inside the laundry room that feeds all lighting and receptacle loads. I also have an 8 space meter combo that's feeding the well, crawl space lighting and HVAC inside and outside units. From where i'm at, it looks like to add the transfer switch i'm going to need a different meter/panel package because the meter now ties directly into the 8 space bus and I need to go from meter to transfer switch. My electrician says by law it has to stay that way because i'm only aloud 8 spaces on the outside panel and he can't change the meter till after inspection. I've never heard of this maximum outside circuits and I need more spaces for generator battery charger and and a future shop. My Electrician that pulled the permit seems overwhelmed and just doesn't want to do the work. He even mentioned that he doesn't know much about generators. Any advice out there on the maximum spaces and a different meter/panel setup. Thanks.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Is there a 200 amp main breaker there?
Your ATS can go two places.
Between the meter and the 200 amp main (it will have to be service rated and rated for 200 amps) or
you can install a 200 amp main breaker enclousure then to your ATS and then to your loads.
Probably should have done this before everything was done the way it is. But that's irrelevant now.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Welcome to the forum.

Your electrician has it almost correct, 230.71 allows a maximum of six movements of the hand on a service. There are safe, code compliant ways to get you what you want, waiting until after inspection and adding code violations is not one of them. Sounds like it is time to find an electrician that knows about generators.

bradp0024

Thanks for the responses guys. The panel is one of these Siemens meter combos that has a 200 amp breaker built into the panel that feeds the 8 space panel boards and lugs on the bottom to feed the house panel. I was just looking at 230.71 in the code and researching online and there seems to be a lot of threads out there on it. If i'm only aloud 6 throws at the service then why are they still selling 40 space meter combos? Im going to need a different panel to allow me the access between to the bottom of the meter to hit this transfer switch. What would be the proper way to get extra space for the shop?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am sorry but this thread is bordering on diy. If I were you I would either get the electrician to give the info or get another electrician. We are not allowed to help with installation issues for you

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Sounds like an occasion to use a generator interlock kit. Look it up for your breaker.

As for the "40-space metermain" they have a single main, so one throw kills the structure. How many handles are on the load side of that main are irrelevant.

bradp0024

Yeah, I think i'm just going to make this Electrician put in a separate meter feeding the ATS and a bigger panel with the 200 amp main instead of the combo. I guess the guy threw me off with the 8 space max comment. I told him i'd do all the work and we don't have the inspection until late next week. I need to get more into the residential installations cause it's been about 15 years since I actually pulled any romex and i'm fixing to take the N.C. contractors test. Seems to be plenty of room for some competition around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.