Pondering MH Forum ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

What are the three biggest things you learned from the Mike Holt Forum ? ;)

Besides spell check, composition, etc., or even the dislike of reading mine or anyone elses post / thread!

What have your learned? Truely?

Mgraw

Occupation
Electrician
1. I am amazed at the knowledge some members have.
2. Don't automatically give weight to the opinions of some based on their number of post or their length of membership.
3. The discussion back and forth between members on "gray areas" in the code.

yucan2

1. That I can learn something new from just about anyone.
2. That I can unlearn something old and accepted by just about everyone, from just about anyone.
3. That the NEC is a procedural guide at best, not an installation manual.

mivey

1. Don't assume that what you read is what was meant, and don't assume that what you type is what will be perceived.
2. The more you know, the more you realize how little you know.
3. Anything can be disputed.

Cold Fusion

Wow - I'm impressed.

My three? Well, right now (in order they appeared and likely subject to change)
Mgraw's comments
Yucan's comments
Mivey's comments.
Jumper's was good as well.

And I always appreciate gus's comments.

cf

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Well the first things is learning to read the post carefully before opening my mouth-- I still haven't mastered that. :)

I learned to use terms like "I believe" or "IMO" instead of saying this is code. :grin:

I have learned there are many ways to interpret the code and that the code, which may appear to be poorly written, has many good aspects to it.

cadpoint

That's an interesting statement!

I've learned to relish any/or all of the engineers statements on the high end technical aspect of things.

That I'll chase a Code Article if referenced, I'll look it up what as to what I thought I knew as opposed to what might was said!

I know I didn't know as much CODE, till I got here; Thanks to Mike Holt!

If your can call out more than three have at it!

480sparky

1. I learned I spend too much time here.
2. I learned I need the NEC on CD because it takes me forever and a day to find it in the printed copy.
3. I learned I'm stupid.

mcclary's electrical

I learned that if I type something that is even slightly, remotely, barely wrong,,,,,I wire's gonna let me know it:grin: But he has forced me to better my NEC knowledge. Thanks Bob

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've learned that I'd rather be humbled and be corrected than to continue in blissful ignorance. :cool:

e57

1. That I can learn something new from just about anyone.
2. That I can unlearn something old and accepted by just about everyone, from just about anyone.
3. That the NEC is a procedural guide at best, not an installation manual.

1. Don't assume that what you read is what was meant, and don't assume that what you type is what will be perceived.
2. The more you know, the more you realize how little you know.
3. Anything can be disputed.

1. I learned I spend too much time here.
2. I learned I need the NEC on CD because it takes me forever and a day to find it in the printed copy.
3. I learned I'm stupid.

I learned that if I type something that is even slightly, remotely, barely wrong,,,,,I wire's gonna let me know it:grin: But he has forced me to better my NEC knowledge. Thanks Bob

All of the above - And:
  1. Regional practice and what you do are often 3-4 different things... :roll: Some impress me - some horrify me, I'm sure it's seen both ways looking in my direction.
  2. What one person sees as what the words mean - may and often will differ. There are common schools of thought that homogenize and congeal affecting the gravity around them. I'm not so sure that is all that great of a thing... (See #1)
  3. The NEC is of course not a 'Design Manual' - it also is not stone tablets tossed down from on high - if they were - why would they keep chucking down little pieces on top of the others every 3 years... (See #2)

All that and... no matter how thoroughly I think something through, I still might have missed one little important bit, which often someone else will helpfully point out :D.

Besoeker- I think it's more like 4 or 5, depending on local conditions and ordinances.

joebell

1) What I thought I knew might not actually be correct. There still is so much more to learn

2) That all states / jurisdictions operate on different code cycles, and some places don't even require licensing

3) Posting has helped my typing skills but I still type way to slow.

elohr46

I've learned that:

1) there are alot of gracious & intelligent posters here

2) they are very generous with their time

3) the correct interpetations of the code can be learned on a daily basis

Hameedulla-Ekhlas

What are the three biggest things you learned from the Mike Holt Forum ? ;)

Besides spell check, composition, etc., or even the dislike of reading mine or anyone elses post / thread!

What have your learned? Truely?

When I graduated from my faculty, I was used to thinking, I know alot topics.
When I joined my work, I found another part of engineering which I was unaware of that completely.
when I joined this forum and saw others, I understood , I dont know anything.

I have seen some other forums too, but I dont know why I dont like to post or discuss in those but I really found this forum interesting for me.
I thank all engineers and electricians who reply me and explains for me

Let me tell "The best way of learning is discussion"

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have seen some other forums too, but I dont know why I dont like to post or discuss in those but I really found this forum interesting for me.
I thank all engineers and electricians who reply me and explains for me

That's because this forum takes things seriously and has the most knowledgeable members of any forum I have seen. Some forums are for the brainiacs with real technical skills and others are just a street corner to shoot the bull. This one has a nice touch of both.

RICK NAPIER

1) This is a great place to find other outside sources to solve a problem.

2) There is a great variety of educated and experienced opinions to draw upon.

3) I can't spell or type.

Status
Not open for further replies.