New Breaker in Main Switchboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

We have to add an 800a breaker in this main switchboard which is going to feed an new distribution panel. Any questions/concerns one might have if you were estimating/installing this? Some of mine so far are....

1. Is there an existing switch to be removed?
2. Work will need to be on OT if loads being fed from other switches in board need to remain active during working hours as entire board needs to be shutdown.
3. Does not seem like it is a draw out breaker.
4. Where are feeders landing on cabinet. Should be "crown" box already there.
5. Should be a bit more labor intensive as feeders/equipment already in place.

How exactly does a switch like this get installed into an existing board. Is it racked in? How long do you think it would take, approx., for two guys to install this?

Thanks

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Capture 1.JPG
    Capture 1.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 1

JFletcher

Is the breaker already purchased, or do you have to buy it? If the latter, I'd be looking up what model breaker you need; 800A, 200,000 AIC rated sounds like $$$$.

The two drawings you have dont seem to contain enough info to price this.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Lots of missing info.
To start I would obtain the name of the manufacture and panel catalog number. Some installs such as Square-D I-Line are relatively simple, some not so much.
From the attachment it appears the bussing to feed the breaker is there but it would be good to confirm.
I could not get a clear picture of the attachment but it seems like the request is for a GF protected breaker.
If the request did not give a specific catalog number, be sure to verify the AIC rating required.

Joe Villani

I would also add:

Especially with the gfp in the breaker who is responsible for the coordination study and setting of the breaker.

I would also add some labor and material for a pull point (be it a mogul C condulet, pull box, or pencil box) near the existing switchboard so the wires can be pulled and left. The remainder of the conduit run including punching into the gear, installing and terminating on the breaker, will have to be done at a coordinated shutdown probably on premium time.

mstrlucky74

I would also add:

Especially with the gfp in the breaker who is responsible for the coordination study and setting of the breaker.

I would also add some labor and material for a pull point (be it a mogul C condulet, pull box, or pencil box) near the existing switchboard so the wires can be pulled and left. The remainder of the conduit run including punching into the gear, installing and terminating on the breaker, will have to be done at a coordinated shutdown probably on premium time.

Thanks joe. The gear vendor providing us with the equipment with also include coordination study.

mstrlucky74

Is the breaker already purchased, or do you have to buy it? If the latter, I'd be looking up what model breaker you need; 800A, 200,000 AIC rated sounds like $$$$.

The two drawings you have dont seem to contain enough info to price this.

Buying from our vendor....they are provided a quote for it..along with other equipment. I gave them spec as well...

mstrlucky74

Lots of missing info.
To start I would obtain the name of the manufacture and panel catalog number. Some installs such as Square-D I-Line are relatively simple, some not so much.
From the attachment it appears the bussing to feed the breaker is there but it would be good to confirm.
I could not get a clear picture of the attachment but it seems like the request is for a GF protected breaker.
If the request did not give a specific catalog number, be sure to verify the AIC rating required.

Thanks. Btw how does a breaker that size get attached to th buss in the gear? I need to cut a cut sheet from my vendor although they usually don't provide that until they have the order.

Thanks. Btw how does a breaker that size get attached to th buss in the gear? I need to cut a cut sheet from my vendor although they usually don't provide that until they have the order.

I realize this is old but figured to reply for posterity.

The feeder breakers mount on a chassis, similar to a power panelboard - really, identical to one. Almost always, mounting hardware will need to be purchased if it has not been previously included. The costs for this hardware in many cases can exceed the cost of the breaker itself.

Individually mounted circuit breakers will connect directly to the vertical bussing behind it. - but you are unlikely to see this @ 800A.

mstrlucky74

I realize this is old but figured to reply for posterity.

The feeder breakers mount on a chassis, similar to a power panelboard - really, identical to one. Almost always, mounting hardware will need to be purchased if it has not been previously included. The costs for this hardware in many cases can exceed the cost of the breaker itself.

Individually mounted circuit breakers will connect directly to the vertical bussing behind it. - but you are unlikely to see this @ 800A.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.