Before/after

Status
Not open for further replies.

220/221

No more room. HO needed to add another AC in this maxed out panel.

electrical423.jpg

Jimpanelchange013.jpg

Now that it's a legitimate topic, has anyone ever run into another board member on the street? I ran into Vertex today at lunch. It was pretty cool. I took a late lunch @ 2:30 and stumbled into Panda Express, filthy dirty and beat down from this panel change. Paul recognized my truck and we BS'ed a bit before I had to go back and finish.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's not maxed. There's one full-size 2p left.

Why the spaces on the left? Heat concerns?

Don't forget your level.

e57

So that open 2P slot is for the sub-panel? How's the load calc? :D

Copper buss - wish that were more popular here... Looks good for what I know is a PITA - pulling a panel and slipping in a new one in the same place - usually under pressure to getRdone before dark... I have a new tactic I persue in situations like that now... I call it "Blow in Place - start over..." :D

No really I'm a big fan of gutters and sizable J-boxes. Build the new service in a nearby location M/M, or M/M w/ Dist - empty. (Do that one day - then temp up the old one...) - Next day - Put in a gutter or J-bx, take all of the branch and feeders into that, then into the new panel(s).

So ah - not looking to beat anyone in askin' - where's the bare #4 on the left buss go?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As Larry said, why are there spaces between the CB's on the left? Also what's enclosing the cables entering the panel in the top/center?

220/221

It's not maxed. There's one full-size 2p left.

I told the HO that, even if they make a 50/50 quad, I wouldn't install it :cool:.

Why the spaces on the left? Heat concerns?

If I have room, I like to isolate big draw breakers, ESPECIALLY A/C breakers.

So that open 2P slot is for the sub-panel? How's the load calc?

No subs. I left a 250 for the new roof top AC.

Load calcs are good to go! Under 3000 square feet and only 2 AC's :cool:

where's the bare #4 on the left buss go?

Water/gas bond. I was impressed. This was stock wiring from '65

Also what's enclosing the cables entering the panel in the top/center?

Chase nipple. Recycled from the old installation.

Is that install compliant with the last sentence of 312.2?

Beats me. What does it say? I used sealing locknuts/fittings everywhere except the chase nipple.

It appears the Top photo is the 'before' and the Bottom photo is the 'after', meaning you replaced the original

heh heh....I hoped it would be obvious :-?

Which city was this done in?

PV

Wow that original panel seemed to have every flavor or brand of breaker!

I stripped them out this morning.

Homeline quad 50/50,20,20
Cutler Hammer BR non ctl tandems
GE 1 p and 2p thins
Bryant twin 20's
Murray or Siemans main.

There were FIVE 3 wire home runs in there and I KNOW they weren't phase properly after all the monkeying around over the years.

cadpoint

Why does it look to me like the orginal install feeders on a 150 amp breaker are now smaller for the 200 amp & new!

Photo ~ (witchery) :grin:

e57

Water/gas bond. I was impressed. This was stock wiring from '65

Chase nipple. Recycled from the old installation.

Beats me. What does it say? I used sealing locknuts/fittings everywhere except the chase nipple.
Was the water an electrode? The chase would need a bonding locknut in the very least IMO. But the opening although on the back - by the way the code is worded would need to be listed wet... (unless you somehow flashed the panel?) Not that I'm worried it's just words...

dduffee260

Good looking install from what I see. Maybe there is a little difference here and there but it is for sure an improvement from what they had. Hey, homeowners happy, you made money, it's quality work and is that not what we are looking for. I give you kudos for doing good work and posting pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.