liquid tight ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4SPARKS

I have a big rock crusher machine that has a 480 generator feeding control panel through a piece of 2" liquid tight. the vibration of the machine has worn a hole in the conduit and damaged one of the conductors. My question is what can i replace the regular liquid tight with that with withstand a little more abuse. Granted whats there probably lasted 10 years but was looking for something a little sturdier. Anybody have any suggestions?

stevenje

I have a big rock crusher machine that has a 480 generator feeding control panel through a piece of 2" liquid tight. the vibration of the machine has worn a hole in the conduit and damaged one of the conductors. My question is what can i replace the regular liquid tight with that with withstand a little more abuse. Granted whats there probably lasted 10 years but was looking for something a little sturdier. Anybody have any suggestions?

Isolate the liquid tight conduit from where ever it was rubbing on the rock crusher. Otherwise you will have the same problem down the road.

iwire

Staff member
I have had the same issues with vibraters at stone plants, we tried changing to cord but then the conductors on the cord would break down at the connectors.

We went back to LFMC and would just expect that they would have to be replaced from time to time.

ceb58

10 years is fantastic. I'd put it back just like it was with the addition of something to help with the wear area.

You may replace the liq. tight and then split some pieces of pvc maybe one size larger to put on the wear spots and hold it in place with tie wraps or good old tape.

4SPARKS

thanks for all the responses, yes it was LFMC that plastic stuff is garbage, but it seems like we've all come up with basically the same answer; put the LFMC back and protect it from the eathquake like vibrations that this beast produces. I have some heavy duty rubber sheeting its like 1/2" thick that i'm going to use at the points were conduit is supported to the frame. Thanks again for the input.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I'd probably just slit another short piece of LFMC lengthwise and slip it around the other LFMC. Then zip tie it in place. It'd be very easy to change out in the future when you see it start to wear.

Last edited:

ty

We used to work on 3 different rock quarries., from down in the pits to the offices, and down in the tunnels. I posted pics of a blast a long time ago on the old forum.
LFMC is your best bet. You could possibly use a piece of rigid conduit in the middle as suggested, but you will still need to flex to the motor.
Forget the zip ties and tape, they will snap in a matter of seconds from the vibrations of a rock crusher.

Status
Not open for further replies.