Frequency question please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will a 230 volt 50 Hz(only) computer from Singapore work okay plugged into a 230 volt 60 Hz system? Some research has told me no and some research has told me that it should work fine. Frequency only really affects motor performance.....?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Will a 230 volt 50 Hz(only) computer from Singapore work okay plugged into a 230 volt 60 Hz system? Some research has told me no and some research has told me that it should work fine. Frequency only really affects motor performance.....?

There is a chance that the calendar clock of the computer is synced (when on) to the power line frequency. If that is the case a software adjustment might be necessary to keep the clock from running very fast. :)

topgone

IMHO, computers come with their own power conditioning supply (AVRs or UPS). That said, you should worry about the AVR or UPS that came with the unit.:)

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I haven't seen a PC power supply that is not an SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply) in well over 25 years. An SMPS rectifies AC to DC and changes the DC output voltage using PWM firing of transistors. So in the initial process of rectifying to DC, it could not care less if it is 50 or 60Hz, it's just a passive diode bridge rectifier making DC from it anyway. At the power levels used by PCs now, a linear power supply would likely be 4 times the size of a modern power supply. So if it's a laptop, the cord connected PSU would be about the same size ass the laptop itself.

And I have not seen an AC sourced clock pulse generator in that long as well. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.