Thread: junction box vs. terminal enclosure

junction box vs. terminal enclosure

where do you draw the line whether an electrical box is a junction box or a terminal enclosure?

is it defined somewhere?

thank you

What is the difference between a junction box and a terminal enclosure? I have always thought of them as the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Designer69 View Post
    where do you draw the line whether an electrical box is a junction box or a terminal enclosure?

is it defined somewhere?

thank you
    Are you referring to a Load Center (with circuit breakers)
    being used as a junction box for circuits passing through ?
    Glene77is, Memphis, TN. .....Electricity.is.Shocking.....·×º°”˜`” °º×_

well the reason I ask is because the NEC requires working space clearance for electrical equipment. I am sure that includes electrical enclosures and terminal housings, but what about a junction box with a removable front cover? see what I mean?

thanks!

Junction box = box with no components mounted in it (i.e. all connections are wirenuts or split bolts). Most conductors are long enough to be pulled from the box (i.e. the 6" length required at devices)

Terminal box = box with components (i.e. terminal strips) mounted in it. Most conductors are trimmed to length to fit into terminal (like in a load center).
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Quote Originally Posted by jim dungar View Post
    Junction box = box with no components mounted in it (i.e. all connections are wirenuts or split bolts). Most conductors are long enough to be pulled from the box (i.e. the 6" length required at devices)

Terminal box = box with components (i.e. terminal strips) mounted in it. Most conductors are trimmed to length to fit into terminal (like in a load center).
    I should have phrased my question/statement better, functionally they are the same thing. Now that I see the OP's reason for asking I understand better.

well the reason I ask is because the NEC requires working space clearance for electrical equipment. I am sure that includes electrical enclosures and terminal housings, but what about a junction box with a removable front cover? see what I mean?

thanks!
    I would say Jim's definitions are right on. Junction boxes need to be accessible but don't require working clearance. Terminal boxes would require working clearance.

They do make a clamp that will connect an EMT conduit to a cable tray, it looks like a unistrut clamp. I am in a hurry now but will try to find a link for you later.

thanks!

Equipment. A general term including material, fittings, devices,
    appliances, luminaires (fixtures), apparatus, and the
    like used as a part of, or in connection with, an electrical
    installation.
    I don't see how a junction box is not equipment. If fittings are equipment, a junction box is.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    I don't see how a junction box is not equipment. If fittings are equipment, a junction box is.
    Sure it's equipment. But is it equipment likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized? I wouldn't think so.