Branch Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

local3jo

I was wondering if someone can answer this for me, there is a 2x2x3 trough in a store. there is a 70 amp feeder that passes thru the trough into a main breaker in the panel . Can all of the branch circuits for the store go in the same trough, than run another conduit from the trough to the panel and use that pipe for the circuits? Would this be a violation?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You can combine feeder and branch circuits in one raceway. You cannot combine service conductors (without OCPD) with any other conductors, either feeder or branch.

You do have to count all of the current carrying wires for ampacity adjustment in trough.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Is that a 2" x 2" x 3' trough?

...or 2' x 2' x 3' pull box?

Troughs (metal wireways) are limited to 20% fill.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would guess that it's a 2"x2"x36" section of metal wireway.

As noted already your fill cannot exceed 20%, and you cannot have more than 30 CCC's at any cross section unless you use ampacity adjustment, AKA derating.

kwired

Electron manager
2"x2" wireway? Is that even a thing? With the lips on it that would have an opening about 1".

The smallest wireway I choose to install is 6"x6".
4x4 is common, but I have seen smaller. Never installed smaller but have run into existing. Don't take much to fill it to 20%, and what I have seen had TW conductors installed and was packed full.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
2"x2" wireway? Is that even a thing? With the lips on it that would have an opening about 1".

Yup, I've installed some of over the years in tight spots where a larger one wouldn't fit.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

Not easy to find but, yes.

Carlon makes a non-metallic 2x2.

Cooper has a 2.5x2.5 metal wireway.

I'm fairly certain someone makes a 2x2 metal, but not finding it very easily on the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.