Existing residential Garage Sub???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerseydaze

Existing Residential Garage 120/240 has no ground wiring from main only 3 conductors panel is corroded customer want to replace with new panel what do I do?

Volta

I say that it should be grandfathered assuming you are changing like for like.

Agreed, but read through the exceptions to 250.32(B) carefully and look around the site to be sure you comply (no other metallic paths), and I'd expect that you likely need to provide the electrode that may not exist now.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Locally, if you don't change the feeder then simply replace the panel.
For a number of years now, a grounding electrode system would have been required and if there is not one, the AHJ will probably require you have one.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO this would fall under the NJ rehab code. I would run it past the inspector but in all likelihood you can just replace the panel. Does the building have a GES?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Agreed, but read through the exceptions to 250.32(B) carefully and look around the site to be sure you comply (no other metallic paths), and I'd expect that you likely need to provide the electrode that may not exist now.

Correct.

My posts are short and sometimes misunderstood. I was just answering the question posed.

I 'assumed' that he knows to look for violation(s).

I recenlty made a similiar post on this issue. I agree that if no new circuits are being run from this panel an EGC is not required to be run to the new sub-pnl.

Isn't the way I'd do it but its legal imho

RICK NAPIER

This would fall under the rehab code if in NJ. That is chapter 6 of the Uniform Construction Code and the feeders can remain the same but grounding electrodes and bonding requirements would be based on what was required at the time of the original installation. Confusing isn't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.