Panel Clear Floor Space

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working on a high rise building in Oklahoma City. On the penthouse level, the service elevator control room, we have an electrical panel 277/480v mounted on wall. Directly in front of the panel is a floor hatch. I raised the question of Code compliance for clear working space and was told by the GC that it did not apply because the floor hatch was a flush design. I could not find any exemptions in the NEC and conferred with my electrical engineer who also states it is a violation. Can anyone shed some light on this situation?

Thanks in advance.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Someone on this forum (I don't know who, so I am willing to sell the credit for a reasonable fee :lol: ) introduced me to the best notion of explaining working clearance. Take the cardboard box in which your new refrigerator was delivered, and put it up against the front of the panel. If it fits (i.e., doesn't bump into anything), you have met the requirement for working space. In your example, the box would fit. It would not bump into the hatch cover, so it would not infringe upon the working space.

Thank you for the input. I could not find any clear cut defined answer in the code book that discussed floor hatches and was always taught that clear floor space meant solid floor. I hoped I could get an answer here before digging into National Building Codes.:thumbsup:

kwired

Electron manager
Someone on this forum (I don't know who, so I am willing to sell the credit for a reasonable fee :lol: ) introduced me to the best notion of explaining working clearance. Take the cardboard box in which your new refrigerator was delivered, and put it up against the front of the panel. If it fits (i.e., doesn't bump into anything), you have met the requirement for working space. In your example, the box would fit. It would not bump into the hatch cover, so it would not infringe upon the working space.

Now consider the box will work there just fine with hatch closed but not when it is open, that is a little more of a grey area, and could be enforced differently in different jurisdictions.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
Now consider the box will work there just fine with hatch closed but not when it is open, that is a little more of a grey area, and could be enforced differently in different jurisdictions.

So, do you think a panelboard in a closet that only has clearance when the door is open is an issue?

kwired

Electron manager
So, do you think a panelboard in a closet that only has clearance when the door is open is an issue?
No. The door must be 30 inches wide or as wide as the equipment though.

I often place panelboards behind the entry door (when it is open) of a room because you can always close that door and have clearance, they will never store anything in that space or if they do the door can't be opened. Similar concept.

Best option then at this point would be to pursue further and get inspector involved? or keep email from GC instructing me to proceed and wait for inspector to fail so I can charge for a change order?

kwired

Electron manager
Best option then at this point would be to pursue further and get inspector involved? or keep email from GC instructing me to proceed and wait for inspector to fail so I can charge for a change order?
Though I don't think there is a violation, if I were in your place and had any question I'd probably be talking to inspector now.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
Someone on this forum (I don't know who, so I am willing to sell the credit for a reasonable fee :lol: ) introduced me to the best notion of explaining working clearance. Take the cardboard box in which your new refrigerator was delivered, and put it up against the front of the panel.

Isn't hard to work on the panel from inside the box?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.