Elevator Shunt-Trip Breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-1Sparky

I've got an elevator machine room with (2) means of disconnect for the elevator, and the inspector has written it up as a violation. One disconnect is a non-fused, handled disconnect and the other is a shunt-trip breaker. I'm wondering if I can lock the shunt-trip in the "closed" position to eliminate it as a manual disconnect. I guess I'm asking if it will still trip internally when either receiving a signal from the F.A. system or under overload/fault conditions.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Check with the AHJ (lock out or not) and the breaker manuf.. I would think the breaker will trip internaly.

JLEECME

Curious what did the inspector site as the violation? Is it an NEC violation or a different code? I haven't ever had a problem with inspections on an installation like this.

A-1Sparky

This guy is an elevator inspector and says that, by code, I can't have (2) means of disconnect for elevator power in the machine room. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind this, but it sounds a little picky to me. :cool: This guy is the AHJ and is threatening a fine if the situation isn't remedied. Is this some kind of elevator-specific code?

jrohe

Occupation
Professional Engineer
...One disconnect is a non-fused, handled disconnect....

Doesn't 620.51(A) require the disco to be fused or a circuit breaker capable of being locked in the open position?

I have run into AHJs that required the shunt trip to be located outside the elevator machine room, but I can't say I have ever received a valid code reference...

luckylerado

Be careful though because even a lockable breaker type disconnect will not be accepted if there is an emergency let-down system installed on the elevator. These require a set of contacts mechanically operated via the handle. There is an excellent product that has the fused lockable disconnect, shunt trip device, handle tie, and points to monitor the voltage of the shunt trip device all in one nice enclosure. The brand escapes me but I will find it and post it later.

benaround

I've got an elevator machine room with (2) means of disconnect for the elevator, and the inspector has written it up as a violation. One disconnect is a non-fused, handled disconnect and the other is a shunt-trip breaker. I'm wondering if I can lock the shunt-trip in the "closed" position to eliminate it as a manual disconnect. I guess I'm asking if it will still trip internally when either receiving a signal from the F.A. system or under overload/fault conditions.

This guy is not going to let you modify what is in there now, the unit that Jraef shows or

an equal will, imo, be your fastest and least expensive way to passing the inspection.

A-1Sparky

Thanks for all the info., guys. :D One more question...The elevator car lights are currently set up on a shunt-trip activated by the F.A. system. Is this an elevator code requirement too? Thanks.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for all the info., guys. :D One more question...The elevator car lights are currently set up on a shunt-trip activated by the F.A. system. Is this an elevator code requirement too? Thanks.

No, there is normally a separate disconnect in the equip. room for the car lights and power. There wouldn't be any reason to shunt trip this power, and I don't think you would ever want to shunt trip the elevator car power.

Steve

pator

Elevator Disconnect Switches

Elevator Disconnect Switches

The NEC and ASME A17.1 Safety Code for elevators requires a disconnect switch for each elevator controller to be installed on strike side of door within 18". You are also required to have the overcurrent protection for the elevator cab lighting in there and it is usually provided in a small 30A disconnect switch. If you have two and one is not for the cab lights they probably installed one for the elevator controller and one for MG (motor generator) that is used when using DC hoist motors. The MG is fed out of the controller so normally does not get its own disconnect. The shunt trip would have been used in conjunction with a sprinkler system so that power was removed before the system dumped. The Code has changed so now we don't have to install a sprinkler in a machine room.

Status
Not open for further replies.