GFI blinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

I have a Hubbell GFI I installed a few weeks ago. It has the red LED, which today was blinking rapidly. The outlet still works and trips with the button or a plug in tester. The paperwork doesn't explain what the light is for, just says LED (light emitting diode). I know some brands have a green indicator light and when you trip it the light goes out, simple. Never quite knew what these red ones were supposed to tell you, but I know someone here does.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Clear Visual Indication of GFR Status — LED Indicating Lights:
Green LED (power to the device)
Red LED (trip condition/ground fault condition)
Flashing Red LED (end of life)

GerryB

Clear Visual Indication of GFR Status — LED Indicating Lights:
Green LED (power to the device)
Red LED (trip condition/ground fault condition)
Flashing Red LED (end of life)
End of life? Really, that's funny. Well, it was a short tragic end, I'll have to put it to rest next time I go back. Thanks, I figure it's on there website but didn't feel like looking.

JFletcher

I have a Hubbell GFI I installed a few weeks ago. It has the red LED, which today was blinking rapidly. The outlet still works and trips with the button or a plug in tester. The paperwork doesn't explain what the light is for, just says LED (light emitting diode). I know some brands have a green indicator light and when you trip it the light goes out, simple. Never quite knew what these red ones were supposed to tell you, but I know someone here does.

RIP young GFCI, you were gone before your time.

*cue Elton John*

kwired

Electron manager
It is blinking to tell you it is bad, yet it still works. Bet a lot of those get changed out if still working, put a piece of tape over the light if it annoys you.:)

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
It is blinking to tell you it is bad, yet it still works. Bet a lot of those get changed out if still working, put a piece of tape over the light if it annoys you.:)

That's what I did with the airbag light on my dash.

growler

End of life? Really, that's funny. Well, it was a short tragic end, I'll have to put it to rest next time I go back. Thanks, I figure it's on there website but didn't feel like looking.

Just a thought but maybe there was a power surge that damaged the electronics or maybe it wasn't as new as you thought it was. I would also check for recalls on the device.

Anyway I would try to get my money back or trade it in for a new one and they can sell this one to someone else. I always take a marker and write "bad" on it to warn the next guy.

kwired

Electron manager
I always take a marker and write "bad" on it to warn the next guy.
Don't work at big box stores they will put them back on the shelf anyway, especially if in a package that won't show your marking while in the package.

I've learned the hard way and still forget occasionally, but try to look in the package at big box stores.

Bought a three pack of GFCI receptacles one time - the P &S brand, only to find out when on the job someone stuck the "no brand" receptacles in the box and returned them. Never even checked if they worked, I did not want those no brand ones at all.:(

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I've learned the hard way and still forget occasionally, but try to look in the package at big box stores.

For that reason I never grab the first box and I always look to see if it's been opened.
My wife laughs at me everytime.

JFletcher

I always take a marker and write "bad" on it to warn the next guy.

I just draw a big X across the face if I cant throw it away immediately. That or bend the yoke so it cant be reinstalled easily. Clip the leads from removed ballasts, etc

Chances are if you put it on your truck w/o doing something, YOU will be the next guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.