New Contractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am newly licensed in SC & GA. I am mostly estimating small residential with a couple commercial projects recently. I started using an estimating program called Best Estimating Pro because of the low cost. I don't have a lot of start of capital either. Any tips for estimating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I am newly licensed in SC & GA. I am mostly estimating small residential with a couple commercial projects recently. I started using an estimating program called Best Estimating Pro because of the low cost. I don't have a lot of start of capital either. Any tips for estimating?

I cant offer much help on estimating but can say this:

welcome to the forum.

Make sure you do your math properly so you know how much to charge per hour to stay a profitable business. Don't forget your overhead, your pay, your vacation, holiday pay, sick pay, family leave, education, tires, gas, additional tools, additional vehicles.... also profit.

Also, take several sales classes related to construction and service business. IMO this is very important.

IMO, don't do new construction do service and repair.

John120/240

Ditto Edward, Also perform your own Due Diligence with who you are working for. What is the GC's reputation around town ? Have a written contract that spells out the scope of work. Dream BIG, but know your limitations as to size of job, your skill set.

JFletcher

IMO, don't do new construction do service and repair.

This. Also, dont forget warranty work, unbillable time, wear and tear/vehicle maintenance, etc.

You may also want to look into installs/work that not everyone does. Here, nearly every EC van advertises generators, but I havent seen one that specializes or advertises in things like solar, aluminum wiring repair, high end home a/v.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
If you get hooked up with GCs to help provide additional streams of work, don't be afraid to fire them.

kwired

Electron manager
This. Also, dont forget warranty work, unbillable time, wear and tear/vehicle maintenance, etc.

You may also want to look into installs/work that not everyone does. Here, nearly every EC van advertises generators, but I havent seen one that specializes or advertises in things like solar, aluminum wiring repair, high end home a/v.
Location can have some impact on what you might specialize in. If I tried to specialize in any of the things you mentioned, the population base here is low enough I would have to travel pretty far to get a reasonable customer base if I don't do other types of work.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
New Contractor

I'll repeat what's been said here a thousand times; read the Ellen Rohr books and understand your costs. That's pretty crucial for estimating.

I would second the opinion of starting out doing as much service work as possible. It's a great way to keep steady cash flow.

And always have a contract. Even on service; our invoice form has a simple contract written in, and you get them to sign the quote before starting any work. If you don't have a lot of capital, it wouldn't take much to put you under.

I'm guessing that since you are GA and SC, you are somewhere near Augusta or Savannah? Plenty of work over there..... we've got 3-4 crews in that area now in both GA and SC that are balls to the wall.

Yes I am across the river from Augusta, GA in Aiken, SC. I will tell you I am have not had to take a day off since July unless I wanted to. I am doing mostly residential work right now and a small hair salon in which I am writing change orders to not lose money on that one. I am learning pretty quick and haven't taken a day off in three weeks to keep the customers happy. I found word of mouth goes a long way here in this small community.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Yeh ok we've got a job right down from you in Clearwater right now.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child

Is that where you live? I'm all around you right now if so. Just finished a job in Odessa, got one coming up in tarpon springs.... currently in Sarasota, Bradenton, and Lakeland...... what's up with Bradenton inspector? Guy failed ceiling cover yesterday because j-boxes weren't labeled. I asked for a code citation and he was a jerk about it. Dude never called me back with it, but today showed up in the computer as passed.

mgookin

Is that where you live? I'm all around you right now if so. Just finished a job in Odessa, got one coming up in tarpon springs.... currently in Sarasota, Bradenton, and Lakeland...... what's up with Bradenton inspector? Guy failed ceiling cover yesterday because j-boxes weren't labeled. I asked for a code citation and he was a jerk about it. Dude never called me back with it, but today showed up in the computer as passed.

I'm in Fort Myers which is 2 counties south of Sarasota.

Sorry to hear you had a jerk inspector; don't know anyone in Bradenton.

CED Largo is one of our accounts (next to Clearwater). I pop in there from time to time when I run the Tampa-Orlando circuit; huge market.

How long are you going to be in west central Florida?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Looks like we'll be there through the end of the year now. Just took another project in ellenton. I'm personally not there, but will be coming down soon to check up on things.

Status
Not open for further replies.