Ground to Beam That's Monokoted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Electrician ran cable for ground buss to a structural building beam that has a monokote coating. He cleared only about 1 1/2" of Monokote away to make his clamp attachment. Question is, do we recoat the beam with Monokote and cover up the clamp or do we leave this section exposed for inspection of ground integrity? Or, was putting the ground to that type of beam completely wrong and it must be redone? Thank you for your assistance.

iwire

Staff member
Electrician ran cable for ground buss to a structural building beam that has a monokote coating. He cleared only about 1 1/2" of Monokote away to make his clamp attachment. Question is, do we recoat the beam with Monokote and cover up the clamp or do we leave this section exposed for inspection of ground integrity? Or, was putting the ground to that type of beam completely wrong and it must be redone? Thank you for your assistance.

As long as it was clean at the point of contact I see no problem with it and would be fine if it got recoated once inspected.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The connection is required by the NEC to remain visible. I don't see how that possible with an inch layer of Monokote over it but like Bob said after inspection would it really be a problem?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

i'd leave it exposed. the loss of that small an amount of
fireproofing isn't all that big a deal, imho.

now, if he'd cadwelded it, or hypressed it, or if the clamp
is one of the irreversable ones by burndy, cover it up if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.