Peninsula Receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
And nowhere can you show me your argument. I hear you I just don't agree. You didn't answer my question as to why the code would even mention peninsula since there would always be an outlet on the wall.

mcclary's electrical

And nowhere can you show me your argument. I hear you I just don't agree. You didn't answer my question as to why the code would even mention peninsula since there would always be an outlet on the wall.

Why do you say there will always be an outlet on the wall,,,,that's what I don't get.

The only reason the SINGLE outlet is there IS for the penninsula. How's that for your code? Keyword single,,,I have met code with ONE,,,,,and nowhere can you prove I need two

Last edited:

mcclary's electrical

And as to why code would mention penninsula seperately fits the situation of a penninsula joining a counter,,,,that would be two different counter spaces,,,,,not like the imaginary different counter spaces you keep cutting the ops penninsula into.

If the penn. joins a wall, and the single outlet is there for the penn, there is no way I'm cutting one anywhere else.

DARUSA

Picture #1 I will say the wall outlet meets the code.
Picture #2 I will say it doesn't meet the code !!! a second outlet is required

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 0

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Those are perfect examples of both!! Thanks a bunch. A picture is worth a thousand words. I agree with you

And they are exactly the same so why is it good in one place and not the other. If you are going to define picture #1 as a peninsula with no wall cabinet then only one outlet is required so the one on the wall should suffice. Yes? Now take that same peninsula and continue by adding cabinets along the wall to the right. Now you have change the definition of the peninsula. You now say the one on the wall will not suffice and a new outlet is needed. It is the same peninsula. You can't have it both ways.

In picture #1 you call the entire length to the wall as a peninsula but in picture #2 you arbitrarily call the peninsula the part that attaches to the wall cabinets so another is needed. It makes absolutely no sense and I disagree.

IMO, outlets are needed on the wall and on the peninsula in both drawings.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
PIC 1 wall recept will suffice
PIC 2 wall and cabinet receptacle

That's my view.
Scott what difference is there. The amount of space that is covered by the outlet on the wall is the same in either picture. Why would one need it and not the other. The counter space is the exact same amount to be covered either by one or two recep.

mcclary's electrical

Scott what difference is there. The amount of space that is covered by the outlet on the wall is the same in either picture. Why would one need it and not the other. The counter space is the exact same amount to be covered either by one or two recep.

because you are drawing an imaginary line on a single penn.

russ

Exemple # 1 No kitchen countertop only a peninsula counter top!!!!

So if you put the receptacle some where on the peninsula it's self (like some where legal on the far end away from the wall) your saying there would be no need for a wall receptacle.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I agree with the others regarding photo one. Dennis makes a logical argument but I don't see the words in the NEC to support it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis makes a logical argument but I don't see the words in the NEC to support it.

Thanks Rob but I can argue it either way. It comes down to what is the connecting edge as stated in 210.52(C)(3).

Again, Logic prevails for me. The situation is exactly the same in the two but in one picture the arbitrary line is drawn at the wall while the other it is drawn where the peninsula abuts the wall cabinet.

How can you change the definition. Either the peninsula is defined as connecting to the wall or to the adjoining cabinet.

Question is, in the case of the stand alone cabinet, is that a peninsula or a wall cabinet with a peninsula attached to it.

Rob can you show me where your logic is supported by the NEC. I think this needs clarification.:)

electricmanscott

The peninsula is measured from the "connecting edge". That edge would be where it connects to the wall run of cabinets and counter. Otherwise it isn't even a peninsula, it's an island that happens to have one side or end against a wall. What the requirement is for is COUNTER use receptacles. The code is referring to the counter top in this section, so the connecting edge is where the peninsula counter connects to the other counter.

I think you are over thinking this Dennis. This is one of those things that just is what it is and 99.9 percent of people see it this way.

BTW, somebody from New York must have written the section in the code. PeninsulaR ? What the hell.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The code is referring to the counter top in this section, so the connecting edge is where the peninsula counter connects to the other counter.

That is my point. The peninsula is where it connects to the other counter-- in my drawing it would be the red line--- NO? Yet if there isn't another counter and just a 2' wide counter coming off the wall then you say the connecting edge is at the wall. This is where I have a problem. I am not overthinking it but using logic here. You have changed the definition of the peninsula in the 2 scenarios--

If the concept is to protect the part that extends past the wall units then it should be required when it is stand alone. Again the countertop space is exactly the same in the two scenarios presented yet you say one needs a recep. and the other doesn't. That is not logical-- I know the NEC has it's quirks so if I am still walking around I plan on making this clearer in the 2014. I hope anyway.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Picture #1 I will say the wall outlet meets the code.
Picture #2 I will say it doesn't meet the code !!! a second outlet is required

Ok, in Picture #2, where would you install the receptacle to comply with 210.52 (C) (5) Exception???

Status
Not open for further replies.