Surveillance and security systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireryan

Does anybody have any experiences with any surveillance systems? Looking into the Flir brand but haven't really heard anything about them, they just offer what I need. Also looking into a wireless security system. The best I could find was simplisafe but not real sure on the quality of there product. What are some other brands you guys have installed and liked?

nhfire77

Does anybody have any experiences with any surveillance systems? Looking into the Flir brand but haven't really heard anything about them, they just offer what I need. Also looking into a wireless security system. The best I could find was simplisafe but not real sure on the quality of there product. What are some other brands you guys have installed and liked?

Flir's non IR cameras are how shall I say this nicely.....very entry level. What distributor will you buy from?

For a wireless security system you'll want either Honeywell Lyric or DSC Neo (both use encrypted devices) . Simplisafe isn't very secure, I've been told there wireless keypad transmits the user code unencrypted.

fireryan

Flir's non IR cameras are how shall I say this nicely.....very entry level. What distributor will you buy from?

For a wireless security system you'll want either Honeywell Lyric or DSC Neo (both use encrypted devices) . Simplisafe isn't very secure, I've been told there wireless keypad transmits the user code unencrypted.

That's why I was asking since I haven't heard that. I would be buying the security cameras online from the FLir website. Im actually going to be installing these on my own shop. I've been broken into twice this year having wire and tools stolen. I need some sort of surveillance system to see whats going on. You don't think the Flir will suit my needs? Gonna have 4 total outside and 2 inside

nhfire77

That's why I was asking since I haven't heard that. I would be buying the security cameras online from the FLir website. Im actually going to be installing these on my own shop. I've been broken into twice this year having wire and tools stolen. I need some sort of surveillance system to see whats going on. You don't think the Flir will suit my needs? Gonna have 4 total outside and 2 inside

They are ok, I'm just not a big fan of their quality...it all OEM stuff as a lot of low cost brands are. Make sure you hide the NVR and put it in a lock box so they don't steal that too. If your shop isn't huge put multiple really loud sirens (will require a separate power supply) in if you are dealing with smash and grab. If it's loud enough it can be disorientating to someone running around in the dark. siren/Strobes would be even better. And get the alarm monitored by a professional company, don't just make it local alarm only. They should use cellular of radio to transmit the alarm signals...no cutting phone lines.

fireryan

They are ok, I'm just not a big fan of their quality...it all OEM stuff as a lot of low cost brands are. Make sure you hide the NVR and put it in a lock box so they don't steal that too. If your shop isn't huge put multiple really loud sirens (will require a separate power supply) in if you are dealing with smash and grab. If it's loud enough it can be disorientating to someone running around in the dark. siren/Strobes would be even better. And get the alarm monitored by a professional company, don't just make it local alarm only. They should use cellular of radio to transmit the alarm signals...no cutting phone lines.

What would you recommend for a camera system? If the Flir is low quality then I'm not interested in it

nhfire77

Are you computer savvy enough to set static IPs, forward ports etc?

If so Milestone Husky or an Exacq Una appliance (NVR). If not you may want to stick with a plug and play set up such as Flir or Hikvision. My personal choice for cameras is Axis, Bosch, Arecont, Vivotek....all much more expensive than Flir. Panasonic, Samsung and Digital Watchdog also make good cameras, Digital Watchdog has a good user interface on their NVRs

mgookin

As a temporary measure, go get some of the dummy cameras with a 9V battery and a red light and some of the placards that say Video Surveillance. Friend of mine did that when his shop was being broken into regularly and it stopped the break-ins. They're not real cameras but the dumb criminals don't know that. You can do that for $50 while you take your time putting together a good system.

I use ADT. I know many people talk trash about them, but they're good. Spend the money and let them do the work and you'll have a real nice system. They use Honeywell products.

nhfire77

As a temporary measure, go get some of the dummy cameras with a 9V battery and a red light and some of the placards that say Video Surveillance. Friend of mine did that when his shop was being broken into regularly and it stopped the break-ins. They're not real cameras but the dumb criminals don't know that. You can do that for $50 while you take your time putting together a good system.

I use ADT. I know many people talk trash about them, but they're good. Spend the money and let them do the work and you'll have a real nice system. They use Honeywell products.

If you use ADT you aren't bothering to consider small businesses that offer a personal touch. And are handing your money over to a large private equity firm. most ADT work I come across is subpar, IMO

fireryan

Are you computer savvy enough to set static IPs, forward ports etc?

If so Milestone Husky or an Exacq Una appliance (NVR). If not you may want to stick with a plug and play set up such as Flir or Hikvision. My personal choice for cameras is Axis, Bosch, Arecont, Vivotek....all much more expensive than Flir. Panasonic, Samsung and Digital Watchdog also make good cameras, Digital Watchdog has a good user interface on their NVRs

I'd probably be better off sticking to the plug and play I think. After all I'm just a dumb electrician. I've been looking at the Honeywell lyric system you suggested and seems pretty straightforward and looks to be something I could install myself. How does the alarm monitoring work on those. Does Honeywell offer a monitoring service? And would they monitor it if I installed it myself instead on a authorized dealer?

fireryan

I actually put up a couple placards but didn't seem to scare them much. They even busted out my security lighting over the door this last time. Nothing worse then a thief!

nhfire77

I'd probably be better off sticking to the plug and play I think. After all I'm just a dumb electrician. I've been looking at the Honeywell lyric system you suggested and seems pretty straightforward and looks to be something I could install myself. How does the alarm monitoring work on those. Does Honeywell offer a monitoring service? And would they monitor it if I installed it myself instead on a authorized dealer?

You need a dealer. Call the local ADI branch and get a referral from the branch manager. You could buy from ADI as an electrician, install it yourself and have a dealer program and monitor it.

fireryan

You need a dealer. Call the local ADI branch and get a referral from the branch manager. You could buy from ADI as an electrician, install it yourself and have a dealer program and monitor it.

Ok thanks I'll try that tomorrow. I did a branch search and of course there's none in my state. I see some websites like alarm grid selling the Honeywell systems and also do monitoring. Are those any good?

nhfire77

Ok thanks I'll try that tomorrow. I did a branch search and of course there's none in my state. I see some websites like alarm grid selling the Honeywell systems and also do monitoring. Are those any good?

I sell monitoring so I can't speak to those types of service. They offer tech support so that might be a selling point if you are doing all the work yourself

fireryan

I sell monitoring so I can't speak to those types of service. They offer tech support so that might be a selling point if you are doing all the work yourself

I'd prefer to get it thru the ADI branch just because I'd feel better about it not just being some internet company. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for your help

JFletcher

Wireless and wired together would be better than wireless. There are devices on the market that jam wireless signals, easier to use than cutting a phone line, which should trip an alarm anyway.

mgookin

Costco has a system with cameras and a DVR. Electrician friend put one and got it working, not that hard according to him, plus send pics to cell phone

I bought the same thing from Sam's. Lifetime online access. Lifetime = until they say no longer. It was (and is) Samsung. They are thieves. It was $200 worth of product and $600 worth of service. I got $50 worth of service.

nhfire77

Wireless and wired together would be better than wireless. There are devices on the market that jam wireless signals, easier to use than cutting a phone line, which should trip an alarm anyway.

That used to be he case. The new systems (ones I recommended) use frequent hopping which keeps the ahead of a jammer being retuned. Not impossible but highly unlikely to be jammed

ADT utilizes contractors, which isn't a bad thing in "most" cases. But, truly, I have been in the security/LV industry for 32 years and ADT is one of the worst.

To answer the OP's question, we use Hikvision which is some of the best product available today as well in terms of distributor pricing and product quality. Hikvision only sells through distribution, so the items you see on Amazon, etc, stay away from.

Status
Not open for further replies.