GFI Exam Rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

Im designing a project with several exam rooms. Its a box and the owner wants a receptacle on each wall in the center, he actually gave me a layout of it. The problem is that there is a sink in each exam room and which will make at least one of the receptacles a GFI, anyway around this? I have like 20 exam rooms so I want to get the first one right. Should I just make the one a GFI and feed it with the same circuits as the others? Ive attached a layout, the receptacle would be about 3' away, I know it needs to be at least 6' away, im assuming thats measuring from the edge of the sink.

Also, all of these will have to be medical grade receptacles correct?

mcclary's electrical

Im designing a project with several exam rooms. Its a box and the owner wants a receptacle on each wall in the center, he actually gave me a layout of it. The problem is that there is a sink in each exam room and which will make at least one of the receptacles a GFI, anyway around this? I have like 20 exam rooms so I want to get the first one right. Should I just make the one a GFI and feed it with the same circuits as the others? Ive attached a layout, the receptacle would be about 3' away, I know it needs to be at least 6' away, im assuming thats measuring from the edge of the sink.

Also, all of these will have to be medical grade receptacles correct?

The 6' rule in 05' is for "dwelling units' not commercial. Under 08' the 6' rule is there.

What code are you under? I would not line/load wire because of a nuisance trip or someone hitting test may kill a computer or something. If under 05' I would put all standard receptacles

Npstewart

Ok, that makes sense. But could say two exam rooms on one circuit? I guess my question is can I mix and match regular receptacles with gfi receptacles on one circuit?

mcclary's electrical

Ok, that makes sense. But could say two exam rooms on one circuit? I guess my question is can I mix and match regular receptacles with gfi receptacles on one circuit?

Sure you could mix and match GFI's with regular receptacles. But, without knowing the loads of the rooms, we can't begin to answer how many rooms per crcuit

Npstewart

I know how to calculate the load, I just know from my personal experience, when you feed a GFI from another GFI they keep tripping each other. I guess you could come into the room with the receptacle circuit, feed a regular receptacle and then feed a gfi, then do the same with the other gfi and regular receptacle. I dont have problems with the load like I said, I just like to make sure its practical for an electrical contractor.

mcclary's electrical

I know how to calculate the load, I just know from my personal experience, when you feed a GFI from another GFI they keep tripping each other. I guess you could come into the room with the receptacle circuit, feed a regular receptacle and then feed a gfi, then do the same with the other gfi and regular receptacle. I dont have problems with the load like I said, I just like to make sure its practical for an electrical contractor.

Don't use the load terminals and you will not have that problem. Just use the line terminals

Npstewart

I couldn't classify this as "Critical Care" because then I would have to supply the required amount of receptacles as defined by the NEC for critical care areas, and meet all the requirements of a "critical care" area.

That was a good catch though, I appreciate that, I had to think about that one, then I remembered that definition of "Critical Care"

Status
Not open for further replies.