Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torpedo Heaters? Kerosene or Diesel?

Torpedo Heaters? Kerosene or Diesel?

I just bought a Mr. Heater torpedo heater for winter. It says that it takes diesel or Kerosene. Which is the better fuel for this application? Diesel is easier to find and buy than Kerosene and also I think it is cheaper. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Kerosene, but if you use diesel you will get more btu's from #2 rather than #1 if they sell the cold weather stuff in your area

Kerosene will burn cleaner than diesel but ether way be prepared for the headaches. That's why I use a LP gas jet heater.
    Organized people are people that are just too lazy to look for their stuff

I use diesel because it is easier to get.
    There are two kinds of people - those smart enough to know they don’t know, and those dumb enough to insist they do.-----Margery Eagan

Open shop since 1988

Quote Originally Posted by ceb58 View Post
    Kerosene will burn cleaner than diesel but ether way be prepared for the headaches. That's why I use a LP gas jet heater.
    I'd rather have a headache than hypothermia, but I hate my lunch tasting like diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremysterling View Post
    I'd rather have a headache than hypothermia, but I hate my lunch tasting like diesel.
    Hypothermia ??? My LP unit will have you coming out of your coat in a short period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by ceb58 View Post
    Hypothermia ??? My LP unit will have you coming out of your coat in a short period of time.
    Do you have a link?
    There are two kinds of people - those smart enough to know they don’t know, and those dumb enough to insist they do.-----Margery Eagan

Open shop since 1988

If you buy diesel you are paying road use taxes so if you can find Kerosene it should be cheaper .......... I have found that rarely is true.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmanscott View Post
    Do you have a link?
    Link LOWES
    But I will say coming out of your coat in NC is probably easier than coming out of it in Mass.

I can get 10-12 hr running time on my LP unit at the 5000BTU setting from a 20lb cylinder. Refill is around $12.00. Around here K-1 kerosene is around $3.25-3.35/gal $16.25-16.75 per 5gal. Not sure about running time for 5gal. of fuel.
    My thing is if I am working where they are running a kerosene heater I will get a headache from H.. in no time plus I dont have the mess of fooling with fuel and spillage. Its just a personal preference.

Just noticed Scott is at 6,666 post. Post any thing Quick

Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    If you buy diesel you are paying road use taxes so if you can find Kerosene it should be cheaper .......... I have found that rarely is true.
    Do they have off-road diesel in MA? Around here its cheaper but illegal to run in vehicles.