need help with some test questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornflake

I am studying for a journeyman test and am having a hard time finding these questions and will appreciate any help with these including the article number and reasoning behind this questioning.
1) Requirements for equipment-grounding conductors include all of the following, except:
A)They must be without splices
B)They must not carry objectionable current
C)They must be mechanically connected if spliced
D)They must all connect when entering the same box
(I beleive this to be an oldie but goodie. I have searched all of Art. 250 for the answer. I think this was at one time word per word in the code and at some point was omitted)

2) Where liqidtight metal conduit is installed outdoors, above grade, the interior of this raceway is considered to be in a _____ location.
A)dry
B)wet
C)damp
D)raintight
(According to the definitions, I beleive it is dry but not sure)
3) Given: A single-family dwelling has a main breaker rated at 200 amperes. The calculated load is 100 amperes.
What is the minimum size AWG THWN copper conductor permitted for the service entrance conductors to this dwelling?
A)4
B)1/O
C)2/O
D)3/O

Thanks in advanced for your help on these.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As a general rule, the participants here will not "answer" test questions until you first give us your answer and why you feel it is correct.
Would you do that for us, please ?

I will suggest that for question #2 you look in Art 300.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Try answering #1 thru the process of elimination. The EGC is a very common animal so you may be able to answer it without a book.

#2 is not correct so try art. 300 as Gus suggested. It is an addition to the 2008 NEC.

#3 is tricky but give it a try. The question is does the 100 amps come into play or not.

Thanks Chris

Last edited:

Cornflake

Thank you for your reply,
1) I beleive that question number one is C cause it's the only one I could'nt find, but is just a guess.
2) I could'nt find anything on Article 350 about the interior, so I went to definitions Art. 100 and the closest match was 'Dry'. also a guess.
3) I think it's C) 2/O; Table 310.15 for 200 amp service=2/O

Thanks again

Cornflake

Thank you for all your replies, I looked in article 300 as suggested by you fine gentlemen, an found the answer to question number three.
Article 300.9 Raceways in Wet Locations Above Grade.
Answer B) Wet
:grin:
Thanks guys!

Cornflake

On question 1, my method of process of elimination led me to choose answer A) They must be without splices, but I got it wrong.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would answer #3 as you did but keep in mind art. 230.31 will allow the service lateral to be sized for the calculated load. The service lateral , IMO, is not service entrance conductors. Please, someone, correct me if I am wrong.

230.31 Size and Rating.
(A) General. Service-lateral conductors shall have sufficient ampacity to carry the current for the load as calculated in accordance with Article 220 and shall have adequate mechanical strength.

Cornflake

I would answer #3 as you did but keep in mind art. 230.31 will allow the service lateral to be sized for the calculated load. The service lateral , IMO, is not service entrance conductors. Please, someone, correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, also in art. 230.79 it states that, "The service disconnecting means shall have a rating not less than the calculated load to be carried."

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I might miss #1, but I would think the answer is "D" as that is not always a true statement. Conductors passing thru a box need not be connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.