Symbols Inside Box of Relays

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifty60

What do the symbols inside of the box of relay bases mean? Are the symbols trying to represent stranded and solid wire, and possibly ferruled wire? There is a solid "hatch" filled symbol, a solid non-filled symbol, and one with horizontal lines across the length of the wire?

I think when there are two symbols, it means that two of the wires of that type and gauge can fit in the terminal, but when there is one it is representing that only one of that type and gauge can fit in a terminal. Is this correct?

fifty60

Sorry, I tried to earlier but didn't see that the upload failed. Here it is. Are the first two ferrules, the third stranded, and the last two solid?

relay.jpg

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Sorry, I tried to earlier but didn't see that the upload failed. Here it is. Are the first two ferrules, the third stranded, and the last two solid?

View attachment 15934
I'm going from training 25 years old, so forgive me if I'm a little off on this, but it's going to be pretty close.

Starting from the left:
The first three symbols represent wires with pin or blade type ferrules crimped to them, a practice much more common outside of North America (but gaining popularity). So the first on the left is saying you can use 2 wires with insulated ferrules up to 16ga. max per terminal or if you have only one wire with an insulated ferrule, it can be 14ga max. The 3rd symbol is showing an uninsulated ferrule, an alternative to soldering the ends of stranded wire (also called a "crimp sleeve") and you can use two of those up to 16ga. The last two symbols are insulated wires without sleeves or pins, so you can have 2 x 14ga or 1 x 12ga.

Attachments

• 644205_primary.jpg
    644205_primary.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.