Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20KW generator install

20KW generator install

I am fairly new to the contracting industry and have little experience pricing generator installs. I've done standby generator installs before, but never working for myself. I know the installation and code requirements etc. I just wanted to know what the average installation would cost? I figured with a 20 KW Generac Guardian series with a 200Amp ATS it would be around $7,200 for everything. This includes moving the meterbase two feet to the left to allow for ATS mounting. The panel is directly behind the meterbase. Customer wants the generator about 25' away from meterbase. I think its a good price considering the size of the generator. Whats your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by customelectric87 View Post
    I am fairly new to the contracting industry and have little experience pricing generator installs. I've done standby generator installs before, but never working for myself. I know the installation and code requirements etc. I just wanted to know what the average installation would cost? I figured with a 20 KW Generac Guardian series with a 200Amp ATS it would be around $7,200 for everything. This includes moving the meterbase two feet to the left to allow for ATS mounting. The panel is directly behind the meterbase. Customer wants the generator about 25' away from meterbase. I think its a good price considering the size of the generator. Whats your opinion?
    My opinion is if you supply the gen. and ATS and do the install for $7200.00. Then I will hire you and sit back and watch TV and make $2500.00 per install.
    Organized people are people that are just too lazy to look for their stuff

Keep in mind the costs of connecting the fuel line too if it is natural gas or propane (if you are doing a turnkey install). With a 20 Kw on natural gas, will likely require a upgrade to a 5 psi meter if it is not already one. This would require new regulators for the exsisting appliances.

gen install

I'm not sure where you are, and what labor rates are but, it sounds low, real low. Are you furnishing the equipment? the slab or stone dust base? Are you doing the start up?
    Do you have to move this thing to the site?
    Gas?
    Battery?
    Dont low ball. You will pay in the long run and degrade your trade for yourself and others along the way.
    We recentley did a 20. We sub-ed the piping, slab,trenching/lanscaping both worth a combined 8-9K and we got 30K for the job, and the electrical was very straight forward, ats at the meter.

Price dedinately seems low.
    Is this an Eaton supplied Generac generation 3? Or a lowes or home depot generac? There is a difference.
    And what brand of transfwr switch? That would be a service entrance rated switch, don't forget and if its outside, its going to be 3R rated.
    Also, are you under the 2008 NEC?
    -Todd-

-Delawhere?

Shock Me, Make Me Feel Better.

I would not commit to that job for that price if you are providing a complete "turn key, soup to nuts" installation. You should secure quotes for generator(including frt), ats, fuel gas work, and concrete slab. Estimate your labor hours and calculate this cost. Other expenses to include equipment to set generator, landscaping, plans, notice to owner and commencement, permit fees, battery,excavation/backfill,genset startup(if by others),etc..

20 kw

I just did this price for a customer so I'll put in my 2 cents. Generac 20kw with transfer switch, outside pad (concrete), Gas connection to local bottle, no relocation of meter pan. $10,500. That includes the startup and first maintenance. Relo the meter pan is the same price as replacing a top half in my opinion, so I'd price that at $550. And you would get the job, but I'll keep my building and business.
    Don't sell yourself short to get the job.

Smile 20 kw install

The unit is a Guradian series bought with lift gate delivery directly from Generac and the ATS is a NEMA 3R enclosure. Don't think it is Eaton though? Should be the same as Home Dept. I'm not familiar with the gas installation, so I will leave it up to the local gas company. I figured installing on a gravel bed, instead of a concrete pad, since its not required. Or is that a bad idea? My price includes the install and start-up only. I will offer the service and maintanence for additional price. When giving a quote, do you guys list your selling price for the generator? 35% mark up sound right? or do you just give the total? Do you guys break down all costs on the quote? I know the customer has done pricing, so I don't want to raise a red flag. Would you try to get a portion of the money up front, before ordering the generator? Is that a smart idea? I know in central VA, union electricians make about $28 per hour. Most contractors charge +/- $80 per hour for service calls. I don't see how someone could charge $30K for a residential install. Thanks for your opinions so far.

I don't have specific experience with quoting genset installs, but for quotes, I usually get my labor hours and add in somewhere between 10-50%, depending on the size of the job and how much info I have on it at the time of the quote. There will always be some unforseen hassle to account for.

i don't know what they are doing now with the Generacs, but they used to come with the composite pad up to a 17 kW, you would need to pour a pad for any larger of a unit.