4" square box support

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a 4" square box, used only for splices is supported within 18" of the box by 2 or 3 conduits, is a seperate hangar needed, thanks strutt12034

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

Take a look at 314.23(E). The quick answer is that a standard 4 square box can't be supported by raceways.

Chris

iwire

Staff member
OK, I have a 4" Square box facing the ceiling floating 18" above the floor, a 1/2" EMT enters from the right another 1/2" EMT leaves on the left. My conductors will be pulled through these raceways.

Now I need to support the box so I happen to grab some more EMT a single connector and make a support out of the back of the box to the floor. No conductors will be in this support.

Red tag or not?

raider1

Staff member
OK, I have a 4" Square box facing the ceiling floating 18" above the floor, a 1/2" EMT enters from the right another 1/2" EMT leaves on the left. My conductors will be pulled through these raceways.

Now I need to support the box so I happen to grab some more EMT a single connector and make a support out of the back of the box to the floor. No conductors will be in this support.

Red tag or not?

Depends on whether or not the inspector "approves" the installation.

Chris

mcclary's electrical

Red tag or not?

Provided the support conduit is not smaller than the wired conduit, I think it's legal

SEO

Red tag or not?

Red tag it still doesn't comply with section 314.23 (E) and I don't think that you will find an emt connector that is listed to support anything. Use a piece of unistrut.

iwire

Staff member
Red tag it still doesn't comply with section 314.23 (E) and I don't think that you will find an emt connector that is listed to support anything. Use a piece of unistrut.

Since when do box supports have to be listed?

Is a screw listed?

And I am not using a raceway to support the box I am using round shiny tubing.

mxslick

Is a screw listed?

LOL get 'em Bob!! :grin:

I would think if the shiny tubing has adequate mechanical strength I'd call it good to go.

Heck the box is more likely to give way before the support or conduits will.

So I guess we now need to encase the box in concrete..but wait, it's not approved for that.

Guess we need to use a conduit body as a pull point...if it's listed for that purpose.

Or just forget it and run an SO cord. :D

SEO

Is a screw listed?

Bob I was just trying to get you going. In your application the conduit secured to the floor is not a raceway. Therefore section 314.23 (E) would not apply. I've passed support methods more questionable than yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.