Very strange problem for me. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
100A Residential service behind a transformer on a pole. Wall directly behind meter on the inside of the house has been "Re-done". The panel is 20' away in the kitchen with two hot conductors, a #6 bonding conductor, and no neutral. I am currently re-pulling this run to add the neutral for obvious safety issues and code compliance. The mysterious issue is that random times during the day and eve, the lighting will dim or go out completely, along with one receptacle that is probably on the same circuit. I haven't been there to witness or meter this yet, but its been happening regularly. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Could the transformer be becoming faulty as in periodically losing a phase? Thank you for your time

I want to understand the mechanics behind it. I understand ac/dc theroy pretty well, would it be happening when demand in the area becomes higher? Could you please try to breifly explain it to me? Thank you for your time

robbietan

100A Residential service behind a transformer on a pole. Wall directly behind meter on the inside of the house has been "Re-done". The panel is 20' away in the kitchen with two hot conductors, a #6 bonding conductor, and no neutral. I am currently re-pulling this run to add the neutral for obvious safety issues and code compliance. The mysterious issue is that random times during the day and eve, the lighting will dim or go out completely, along with one receptacle that is probably on the same circuit. I haven't been there to witness or meter this yet, but its been happening regularly. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Could the transformer be becoming faulty as in periodically losing a phase? Thank you for your time

I have a similar case where the culprit is a bad connection at the meter base. the conductors are damaged (probably from a flood in the area). voltage dips from time to time and only that house is affected.

hurk27

The "Wall directly behind meter on the inside of the house has been "Re-done". The panel is 20' away in the kitchen " part has me concerned.
Is there a service disconnect out by the meter?

or are you saying that you have service entrance conductors running 20' inside the house? YEK'S
look at the conductors and see if they are the same at both ends, maybe a splice in the wall?
if you are loosing a neutral then you will have under voltage on one phase and over voltage on the other phase, is any lights getting brite?
is any appliances being damaged?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The mysterious issue is that random times during the day and eve, the lighting will dim or go out completely, along with one receptacle that is probably on the same circuit.
It may be a load on the other line being turned on and off. Repairing the feeder neutral may help. Do that first.

Status
Not open for further replies.