Rough-In Box Covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Does anybody make a cover to put on a single gang box to close it until trim? As in, screwed into the box, left in place through drywall, texture and paint, then removed when the receptacle is installed?

peter d

Indeed they do make them. I have no idea who they are and I've never seen one sold or used.

I'm not even sure what the google search string would be to look for them. :confused:

russ

They make them for single gang drywall rings. they push in into the opening of the ring and have a shallow indent.
I think I have a couple laying around in the building department.
I'll let you know the brand name on them if I find them.
Someone sent them out a couple of years ago hoping to get us to make them a requirement on rough-ins.

rcarroll

Does anybody make a cover to put on a single gang box to close it until trim? As in, screwed into the box, left in place through drywall, texture and paint, then removed when the receptacle is installed?
I saw one about ten years ago. A local electrician was trying to push us to require them. If you do use them, don't install until after inspection. ;)
DUH!:)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Why will they have to be removed before the dry wall is hung? They are designed to stay in place until the electrician trims out.
Because rotozippers (the better of the bunch) poke through rock to the interior cavity of the box and work out to find an edge.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Because rotozippers (the better of the bunch) poke through rock to the interior cavity of the box and work out to find an edge.
These devices are recessed into the box so that the dry wallers can make the installation exactly the same way the do on a box without the wire guard device. It just prevents them from damaging the conductors and prevents the box from being fill with mud.

Status
Not open for further replies.