Disconnect and molded case CB

Status
Not open for further replies.

KermodeKT

May I ask, Does a 480V Service Disconnect and operated by the disconnect handle with the disconnect enclosure properly closed, fall to a "Hazard/Risk Catagory" 0? Which requires PPE of Natural Fiber shirt/pants and safety glasses.

cornbread

Looks like I'm going to get shot down on labels on disconnects. Our electrcial group is hanging their hat on the term likely. The claim is that disconnects are not likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing or maint. I personally disagree, but it looks like I'm going to be overuled. I've requested a SOP be developed that stricly prohibits any live work on a disconnect. Looking forward to see how that one works out.

Flash Protection. Electrical equipment, such as switchboards, panelboards, industrial control panels, meter socket enclosures, and motor control centers, that are in other than dwelling occupancies, and are likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized shall be field marked to warn qualified persons of potential electric arc flash hazards. The marking shall be located so as to be clearly visible to qualified persons before examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance of the equipment.

zog

May I ask, Does a 480V Service Disconnect and operated by the disconnect handle with the disconnect enclosure properly closed, fall to a "Hazard/Risk Catagory" 0? Which requires PPE of Natural Fiber shirt/pants and safety glasses.

Yes, as long as you meet the requirements in note 4

zog

Looks like I'm going to get shot down on labels on disconnects. Our electrcial group is hanging their hat on the term likely. The claim is that disconnects are not likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing or maint. I personally disagree, but it looks like I'm going to be overuled. I've requested a SOP be developed that stricly prohibits any live work on a disconnect. Looking forward to see how that one works out.

Flash Protection. Electrical equipment, such as switchboards, panelboards, industrial control panels, meter socket enclosures, and motor control centers, that are in other than dwelling occupancies, and are likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized shall be field marked to warn qualified persons of potential electric arc flash hazards. The marking shall be located so as to be clearly visible to qualified persons before examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance of the equipment.

Ask them how the person operating the disconnect is supposed to know what PPE is required?

cornbread

Our electrical group claims operating a disconnect is hazard cat 0, using table 130.7(C)(9) for refernce.

Panelboards or switchboards Rated >240 up to 600...
CB or fused switch operation with covers on ....Hazard/risk 0

Same goes for 600V Class MCC's
CB or fused switch or starter operation with enclosure closed .. Hazard/risk 0

zog

Our electrical group claims operating a disconnect is hazard cat 0, using table 130.7(C)(9) for refernce.

Panelboards or switchboards Rated >240 up to 600...
CB or fused switch operation with covers on ....Hazard/risk 0

Same goes for 600V Class MCC's
CB or fused switch or starter operation with enclosure closed .. Hazard/risk 0

Right, if you meets the limits of the tables in the notes section. But HRC 0 does not mean no arc flash hazard, you still have some PPE requirements and that needs to be on the label.

KermodeKT

As an operator on a production floor, who is instructed to operate the 480 disconnect in order to plug "portable" equipment in. Now the operator has the requirement of PPE (i.e. no tee shirts) to perform the job? Is this the intent?

Status
Not open for further replies.