• New wire of the proper length in a single section

Votes: 49 87.5%
  • 4 pieces of scrap wire spliced together

Votes: 7 12.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

I guess I will offer my thoughts (opinion:roll:)

I will admit there has been a few times where I under judged a run and had to "add on" to reach a box or the panel, I believe this happens to most all of us who try to keep wire waste to a minimum, but to do this on purpose I would feel that I was not doing a customer good service just because as was mentioned, it will be a weak point, 99.9 percent of all connection failures are at splices or terminations, very rarely are they in the middle of a run, now would I want an electrical contractor doing this in my own home? surely not, would I get upset if a contractor ran short and had to make a splice, probably not,
but to do it as a normal method, I would say its not ethical because the home owner is paying for the best job we should be doing, and the more splices, the possible more places moisture can get in a cause corrosion and failure even if we do a great job of splicing, soldering every splice? not very cost productive.

Last edited:

zog

I guess I will offer my thoughts (opinion:roll:)

I will admit there has been a few times where I under judged a run and had to "add on" to reach a box or the panel, I believe this happens to most all of us who try to keep wire waste to a minimum, but to do this on purpose I would feel that I was not doing a customer good service just because as was mentioned, it will be a weak point, 99.9 percent of all connection failures are at splices or terminations, very rarely are they in the middle of a run, now would I want an electrical contractor doing this in my own home? surely not, would I get upset if a contractor ran short and had to make a splice, probably not,
but to do it as a normal method, I would say its not ethical because the home owner is paying for the best job we should be doing, and the more splices, the possible more places moisture can get in a cause corrosion and failure even if we do a great job of splicing, soldering every splice? not very cost productive.

My thoughts exactly!

growler

would I want an electrical contractor doing this in my own home? surely not, would I get upset if a contractor ran short and had to make a splice, probably not.

My thoughts exactly!

See folks there is an easy solution to the problems of splicing. If you have a good excuse then it's OK. So on the box cover you leave a little note. Note**** To who it may concern, do not judge me harshly, I normally wouldn't splice but I ran short and that makes it OK . I'm not a hack, really I'm not. :grin:

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
See folks there is an easy solution to the problems of splicing. If you have a good excuse then it's OK. So on the box cover you leave a little note. Note**** To who it may concern, do not judge me harshly, I normally wouldn't splice but I ran short and that makes it OK . I'm not a hack, really I'm not. :grin:

MY thoughts exactly.

It's OK if you made a mistake and are forced to splice. But it's not OK if you knew you were going to splice and planned accordingly.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
One time I wired a house almost completly from scrap! I hid the joints behind the devices.
Not one splice has ever failed! Twist your wires. Cut the insulation, not ripping it off with your kleins.

Status
Not open for further replies.