Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is listening to a radio on a job site an OSHA violation?

Is listening to a radio on a job site an OSHA violation?

Seems like i remember hearing that it was some where.

What?!?! I can't hear you! Speak up! Someone's got their radio blasting too loud!

I would say no based on the fact that we've had OSHA inspections with radios playing all over the place.
    Rob

Chief Moderator

All responses based on the 2011 NEC unless otherwise noted

IMO no.

Here is an OSHA interpretation letter talking about radio equipped hearing protectors and they indicate they are allowed.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...ONS&p_id=19146

I doubt that since the use hearing protection is inforced just like eye protection or at least it was where I retired from(Ford Motor Co.). One of the accepted ear protection methods was the use of ear muffs that has a AM/FM radio in it. There was only one approved brand sold through the Safety Office.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wptski View Post
    I doubt that since the use hearing protection is inforced just like eye protection
    You doubt what? :confused:

I searched OSHA, as much as I could and I cannot find any rule forbidding radios of any kind in any location. There are rules about how many decibels workers can be exposed to from any source.

So if a radio is at 80 or 90 DB OSHA would require hearing protection from it but not the removal of the radio.

OSHA regulations aside, I think radios should not be allowed in the work place. I find them extremely annoying. My God ...can't you live with your own thoughts, or talk to someone else without being pandered to by some noisy radio... half the time they sound like a wasp in a potato chip bag, anyway... and if they have any fidelity, they're too loud... listen to them in your own space.

Who likes the vehicles going down the street with the bass vibrating the building windows? Radios in the workplace are no different to me .

You want to listen to a walkman with earplugs, I could care less, but if I need you to hear something you don't hear, I think I should be allowed to bounce a lineman's pliers off your head to get your attention.
    Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion

Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    You doubt what? :confused:

I searched OSHA, as much as I could and I cannot find any rule forbidding radios of any kind in any location. There are rules about how many decibels workers can be exposed to from any source.

So if a radio is at 80 or 90 DB OSHA would require hearing protection from it but not the removal of the radio.

Bob
    That OSHA letter was posted in the last century.
    Instructor, Industry Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by realolman View Post
    OSHA regulations aside, I think radios should not be allowed in the work place. I find them extremely annoying. My God ...can't you live with your own thoughts, or talk to someone else without being pandered to by some noisy radio... half the time they sound like a wasp in a potato chip bag, anyway... and if they have any fidelity, they're too loud... listen to them in your own space. ..............
    I wouldn't mind radios on the job if:

1. The volume is >>>reasonable<<<. You really don't need to listen to the radio that's sitting 500' away while you're running a table saw or air compressor and someone next to you is jackhammering up the concrete floor.

2. If there's more than one radio, everyone picks the SAME station. No reason I should have to listen to Patsy Cline, KISS, Rush Limbaugh, the Boston Pops, ManCow, Elvis, the Sex Pistols, the Beatles, Mozart, the Farm Report, the Beach Boys, the Market Report, Charlie Daniels, Simon and Garfunkle, Amy Grant, the Weather Report and today's installment of "Bird Calls" all at the same freaking time. Of course, once everyone realizes someone else will tune into a different station, they have to turn their radio up to drown out the others.

3. If your radio won't tune in the station, for crying out loud, just shut it off. It's even more annoying to have a station drift in and out and listen to static half the time, or the audio becomes garbled. If you can't afford a good tuner, leave the piece of crap at home. Or get one that plays mp3s.

Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by realolman View Post
    OSHA regulations aside, I think radios should not be allowed in the work place. I find them extremely annoying. My God ...can't you live with your own thoughts, or talk to someone else without being pandered to by some noisy radio... half the time they sound like a wasp in a potato chip bag, anyway... and if they have any fidelity, they're too loud... listen to them in your own space.

Who likes the vehicles going down the street with the bass vibrating the building windows? Radios in the workplace are no different to me .

You want to listen to a walkman with earplugs, I could care less, but if I need you to hear something you don't hear, I think I should be allowed to bounce a lineman's pliers off your head to get your attention.
    I agree 100%.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derék