Scissor Shears for cutting PVC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
Has anyone ever used these scissor shears? https://www.reedmfgco.com/en/products/plastic-pipe-tools/scissor-shears/ We need something that makes a clean cut 1/2" sch 40 in one motion for high volume production. Any feedback will be appreciated. View attachment 16058
I've used them, and they work pretty well. Your hands will get tired quickly. Is a chop saw with a fine tooth blade out of the question? Those make quick work of PVC. http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aae...dew/dewndws709/images/xlarge/dewndws709_a.jpg SceneryDriver

mtfallsmikey

Musings from the token forum plumber

Musings from the token forum plumber

Yes, for limited use, but PVC electrical conduit is thicker ( As I remember) than lets say, CPVC/Sch. 40/SDR water pipe, so get some ratcheting cutters. My had strength no longer allows me to use those scissor types anyway

mgookin

Consider something like this for larger production.

https://www.zoro.com/imperial-tubin...gclid=CLTekZaEodACFYRKXgodZCUFbA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Using body weight instead of grip strength can be a great help for making a large number of cuts at one time.

Opening the jaws of the ratchet cutters takes some time. None of mine will open with one hand, and multiple squeezes are required to make a full cut.

I think that's the winner. It can be bench mounted and there's no ratcheting.

I liked the Rigid tool but it looks slow and it's discontinued. Maybe they were being used to cut fingers off.

We have to avoid dust and fragments because the pipe goes into a heater after it's cut. And with SMT in the same area that's more reason for no dust or fragments. This Zoro tool looks like a good fit for our needs.

Thanks to all.

jumper

I liked the Rigid tool but it looks slow and it's discontinued. Maybe they were being used to cut fingers off.

We have to avoid dust and fragments because the pipe goes into a heater after it's cut. And with SMT in the same area that's more reason for no dust or fragments. This Zoro tool looks like a good fit for our needs.

Thanks to all.

:thumbsup:

Totally agree.

David Goodman

Thanks to all.

Of course Zoro isn't the only place you can get that tool. I believe Zoro is somehow related to Grainger. When I ordered ACR tube on a 30% discount deal with free shipping, the boxes were printed with the Granger logo. Service from Zoro has been good. One 50' roll of 7/8" tubing had 20' of damaged tube. Zoro sent a replacement as soon as I sent them proof that I had returned the damaged goods to UPS.

growler

Is a chop saw with a fine tooth blade out of the question? Those make quick work of PVC.

We have to avoid dust and fragments because the pipe goes into a heater after it's cut. And with SMT in the same area that's more reason for no dust or fragments.

You have to avoid breathing the dust from PVC. The person cutting would need a mask and then some sort of dust collection system.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Depending on how many and how perfect they had to be I don't know that I would use any kind of hand cutter like you're describing. Some kind of guillotine cutter might be a better option for a real production line. if you're only running 100 day it's probably ok to use a hand cutter if you're trying to run a hundred an hour someone's going to get repetitive motion injuries pretty quick. You might want to consider something that has a stop on it so you can set the length automatically.

peter d

Of course Zoro isn't the only place you can get that tool. I believe Zoro is somehow related to Grainger. When I ordered ACR tube on a 30% discount deal with free shipping, the boxes were printed with the Granger logo. Service from Zoro has been good. One 50' roll of 7/8" tubing had 20' of damaged tube. Zoro sent a replacement as soon as I sent them proof that I had returned the damaged goods to UPS.

Zoro is the internet store for Grainger, so technically speaking Zoro is Grainger.

Status
Not open for further replies.