Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 210.52(a)(1)

210.52(a)(1)

This section requires a outlet isntalled so that there is no more than 6ft of wall space to any receptacle in dwelling units. I don't see any similar requirements in other than dwelling units. Is there a rule for commericial buildings or is it up to the electrical engineer designing the space?

210.50(b).

the enigineer and the owner/occupant.
    Only required outlet would be 210.63 and 600.5 where applicable.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by CPorter View Post
    This section requires a outlet isntalled so that there is no more than 6ft of wall space to any receptacle in dwelling units. I don't see any similar requirements in other than dwelling units. Is there a rule for commericial buildings or is it up to the electrical engineer designing the space?
    Guys jump in.

IMHO the 6' rule was to keep people (residential) from using extention cords. ?????
    Inspector Mike
    ESI

I've always heard that, apparently a more exact statement might be "use cords in residential settings"
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by jxofaltrds View Post
    Guys jump in.

IMHO the 6' rule was to keep people (residential) from using extention cords. ?????

6' cords are a NEMA standard. By the same reasoning, cords for toasters, coffee pots, etc. are 18-24".

Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    6' cords are a NEMA standard. By the same reasoning, cords for toasters, coffee pots, etc. are 18-24".
    So we agree?
    Inspector Mike
    ESI

Not using extension cords makes sense as a reason for the rule however commercial buildings are just as bad or even worse than homes when it comes to extension cords so I am surprised there is no similar rule for commercial offices buildings. The Fire Marshall is always looking for multiple plugstrips and finding them even though we cleaned them out earlier that week.

Quote Originally Posted by jxofaltrds View Post
    So we agree?
    Yes, I believe you agree. Finally...

Quote Originally Posted by CPorter View Post
    Not using extension cords makes sense as a reason for the rule however commercial buildings are just as bad or even worse than homes when it comes to extension cords so I am surprised there is no similar rule for commercial offices buildings. The Fire Marshall is always looking for multiple plugstrips and finding them even though we cleaned them out earlier that week.
    Often times there are not enough outlets in offices in commercial buildings. Unfortunately the NEC does not require many and it is a design issue not a code issue.