Pool Wet Niche Fixture ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
From 680.23:

(2) Wiring Extending Directly to the Forming Shell. Conduit shall be installed from the forming shell to a junction box or other enclosure conforming to the requirements in 680.24. Conduit shall be rigid metal, intermediate metal, liquidtight flexible nonmetallic, or rigid nonmetallic.
(a) Metal Conduit. Metal conduit shall be approved and shall be of brass or other approved corrosion-resistant metal.

Would GalvRigidSteel conduit installed from the wet niche to the pool junction box be a violation or would it be considered "corrosion resistant" ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Gus, I would say yes.
344.10 Uses Permitted.
(B) Corrosive Environments.
(1) Galvanized Steel, Stainless Steel, and Red Brass RMC, Elbows, Couplings, and Fittings. Galvanized steel, stainless steel, and red brass RMC elbows, couplings, and fittings shall be permitted to be installed in concrete, in direct contact with the earth, or in areas subject to severe corrosive influences where protected by corrosion protection and judged suitable for the condition.

WinZip

Could be this person didn't know he could use pvc an maybe had done a few pools in the old days in GRS other than that I do not know.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why would anyone go for the most costly way to comply ? PVC is all i ever seen but yes i think it passes if galv. rigid.

Galvinized will rust over time that is why I believe it must be treated with a corrosion protection.

I have seen people use brass. Why? I don't know but PVC seems to be the status quo now.

WinZip

I know i have done over 1300 pools an never used anything but PVC to lighting niches , sure would be nice if auggie could ask the installer why he used GRS.

Jim W in Tampa

With all the chemicals in a pool i would think its asking for problems. Even if they tar the outside there will be rust. Augie , please find out for us why he did this.

With all the chemicals in a pool i would think its asking for problems. Even if they tar the outside there will be rust. Augie , please find out for us why he did this.

Most of us here have seen RMC installed in the earth corrode at one time or another. Also, RMC is known to be caused to corrode where it enters/leaves concrete to earth. The pool chemicals only add to the potential for the corrosion.

WinZip

We always bring our 1 in PVC lighting conduits back to the pump pad/room - then mount 1 1/2 inch strut on the wall and strap the 1 inch there then pool junction box mounted 10 inches above strut , also if multiple pool light boxes we use PVC LR's-LL's to get between boxes , works very well.

volt101

Even with PVC you still need two metal raceways to support a deck box as per 314.23(E).

There are alternate ways to support the box, such as the fiberglass rod that connects in one of the knock-outs and extends into the ground. It takes subsection E out of the picture as it is no longer a raceway support enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.