Am I being too picky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
What were you talking about, when you were being told you don't know what you were talking about? :-? Did you say that there was a particular problem, and did the other person say that that was not a problem?

480sparky

What are we talking about?
scratch-1.gif
The fact that they show the ground and neutral switched around?

raider1

Staff member
This does not appear to be the service disconnecting means so having the neutral bar being connected to the cabinet would be a violation of 250.142(B).

Chris

CFL

This does not appear to be the service disconnecting means so having the neutral bar being connected to the cabinet would be a violation of 250.142(B).

Chris

I agree, it looks like SER and there is no main breaker so there is probably a disconnect ahead of them. Even if it were ok to have the neutral bonded there, it still looks stupid and obviously not what the manufacturer intended.

iwire

Staff member
The feeder EGC is connected to the neutral bar

The feeder neutral is connected to the grounding bar

The feeder is bonded.

Or we have service conductors with more problems.

growler

You have to give them one thing, they do neat work for total screw-ups.

I would love to hear their explanation or reason for doing it this way. As CFL said even if it were allowed it still would look stupid. So why?:-?

mcclary's electrical

I had a MASTER electrician helping me one day to get caught up. I left him roughing in a detached garage, and when I came back he had made the entire panel up just like this one. I explained to him that is the complete opposite of what shoud be done. He reacted the same as the person the op referred to), He's a master (supposedly) he should know better. That was the last job of mine he worked on.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I saw these two panels today while doing a rough inspection. I was told I don't know what I am talking about. :roll:
Well , seems you are any more picky then we are. Assuming mains outside this is way off. If there are no mains then we have parallel neutrals. Either way something is wrong.

shepelec

These are feeders and I was talking about the GC and the EGC being swapped. As well as the bonding jumper being installed. The electrician was a little upset due to the fact I found several other violations and stated there would be a re-inspection fee. If it was just the panels I would have waived the fee and looked at them on the final but there were other issues with the rough as well. He has already called my boss to complain, good luck with that.:cool:

mcclary's electrical

These are feeders and I was talking about the GC and the EGC being swapped. As well as the bonding jumper being installed. The electrician was a little upset due to the fact I found several other violations and stated there would be a re-inspection fee. If it was just the panels I would have waived the fee and looked at them on the final but there were other issues with the rough as well. He has already called my boss to complain, good luck with that.:cool:

There is nothing he can complain about,,,it's completely backwards. Period

SEO

I think that you made the correct call in pointing out the violation on the rough inspection. It will be a lot easier to correct now than on the final inspection.

hotwire1955

I saw these two panels today while doing a rough inspection. I was told I don't know what I am talking about. :roll:

If you are the elect. inspector and I quess you are since your doing a rough inspection, asking if you are being to picky should not even be a guestion

Jim W in Tampa

You did your job. Is nothing to even think about. I would check every thing in that house if he thinks its right. Might even suggest you put a letter and photo in his license file. How could anyone that stupid pass a masters.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This is electricity 101-- now what is the wire on the right hand side of the panel in the left picture. Looks like a green #14 ????

shepelec

My title was sort of tounge in cheek, I was not serious.:roll

Some of the other issues were wire count, broken clamps on multi-gang boxes(really blown out clamps), 1st plug being 10' from the door. The biggest one was the fact he didn't have 1/2 of the first floor even pulled never mind made up and since this was a 5000 sqr foot house, thats quite a bit of work left to do.

Maybe I should invite one of the state inspectors for the reinspect.....:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.