your opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterinbama

When I do a job for a new customer I leave them with 3 business cards. I write their name and number on the back and tell them to pass them on to friends. I tell them if I get one of these cards back from someone with some work for me I will give them %5 of what the job goes for, with a minimum of $25 and a max of $100. I get quite a few of them back and have actually gotten some good projects this way.

growler

Not my door please. In my village you need a peddler's license and it is a $50 or $100 fine for each offense if you solicit without a license.

Couldn't someone just get a peddler's license? I'll bet that's really hard to get? You are breathing, you got money, you get a peddler's license. :)

satcom

Couldn't someone just get a peddler's license? I'll bet that's really hard to get? You are breathing, you got money, you get a peddler's license. :)

In our town you need to a criminal background check, which costs also costs money, and then the permit paper work processing fees, and it is only valid for the day of issue.

gardiner

I tried a number of things when in business for myself, I found the greatest success with a small magnetic calendar that I would give out at home and trade shows. Not that I would get an exhibit I would just wander the show and hand them out to anyone I met. People tend to keep them use them and they are almost always on the fridge where they are looked at everyday.

BJ Conner

Throw Aways

Throw Aways

Take a look at the advertising stuff you keep. Probably some pens, a ruler, a calendar etc. I'll bet there are not to many door hangers in that drawer.
The things people keep cost more than door hangers.
Note pads work till the paper runs out and people keep pens till the ink runs out.
Even if you find something people will keep it might not get you any business.

satcom

Take a look at the advertising stuff you keep. Probably some pens, a ruler, a calendar etc. I'll bet there are not to many door hangers in that drawer.
The things people keep cost more than door hangers.
Note pads work till the paper runs out and people keep pens till the ink runs out.
Even if you find something people will keep it might not get you any business.

One of our local EC's puts magnet backed labels on every job he goes to, and it gets a decent respond, he will not say how much, but he is always busy, in good and bad times, he also has lettered trucks, and a small yellow page ad.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

$75 fee for the license. Apply at city hall.

$10 for the criminal background check. Go downtown to the sheriff's office during the hours they do the checks.

Wait 2-4 weeks for the license to get approved.

nafis

appreciate your critical thinking

appreciate your critical thinking

I want to thank all of for your input and truly appreciate your critical thinking.
I am not sure if I am going to distribute the door hanger yet. I am designing a post card as well. And I promise I wouldn?t step in anybody?s yard but I WIRE?s.

Thank you again

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Like other I hate people putting their junk on my property. Put it on my property and I will make it a point to NEVER be associated with that company.

Split Bolt

I don't like coming home and finding stuff on my door either. I recently found, after MUCH searching, a VERY RARE used VHS tape of one of my favorite rock bands in concert. (never made on DVD) I paid way too much money for it and eagerly waited. The day it arrived, I opened my mailbox and sitting right on top of it was a mailer from a realtor with a magnetic sign for my refrigerator! Luckily, it didn't erase any of the tape, but it made me so mad that I stuck it on my fridge to make sure I never call that lady for anything!:cool: Anyway, back to the hanger. I've always been wary of putting the words "Master Electrician" on any of my advertising in the past. My thinking is that if I send a Journeyman Electrician out to a house, I can get fined or sued for false advertising! Am I worrying too much? After all, here in Virginia, every licensed electrical contractor must have a Master Electrician sign all documents and put his neck on the line in order get a state contractors license.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
After all, here in Virginia, every licensed electrical contractor must have a Master Electrician sign all documents and put his neck on the line in order get a state contractors license.
More exactly, any business (not individual) can become a contractor, but must employ a licensed master in the trade. You get a business license in your locality, then contractor's and master's licenses from DPOR.

Most other localities also require business licenses to pull permits there, though they're usually free below a certain business amount, like $25K in a year.

Split Bolt

Larry, what is your opinion about what I was mentioning re: "Master Electrician" in advertising? It just seems unethical, if not illegal to pull a "bait-&-switch" by advertising Master, even if the technician going to the house is a journeyman or experienced helper?:-?

Status
Not open for further replies.