gfci outlets pole lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
is a single receptacle outlet located in the top area of a light pole ( apprx 25-30 ft abv grnd) , used for holiday decorations only, accessible by a bucket truck only by a qualified electrician , required to be gfci protected

Assuming the NEC applies and it is a 125 volt 15 or 20 amp receptacle it must be GFCI protected.

210.8(B)(4) requires it.

Furthermore 210.8 now requires the GFCI device to be accessible.

Accessible (as applied to equipment). Admitting close
approach; not guarded by locked doors, elevation, or other
effective means.

You cannot locate the GFCI itself up high on the pole.

gfci outlet

gfci outlet

I guess I should have asked.........does the receptacle have to be a gfci receptacle ? we currently have WR gfci receptacles at the pole tops, but they still are a constant hassle of tripping & resetting, requiring bucket truck work each time. decorations are mounted at top of pole (this is road way lighting for a community)

jumper

I guess I should have asked.........does the receptacle have to be a gfci receptacle ? we currently have WR gfci receptacles at the pole tops, but they still are a constant hassle of tripping & resetting, requiring bucket truck work each time. decorations are mounted at top of pole (this is road way lighting for a community)

Actually if you read iwire's post, it should not be a GFCI receptacle at the top of the pole. It should be a regular receptacle with GFCI protection provided by a GFCI breaker or dead front device that is readily accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.