Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inspection Requests - Time frame

Inspection Requests - Time frame

Just wondering if anyone has had a LONG wait after calling in for an inspection, to get one.

Called today 11/23 hoping to get a rough inspection on Monday the 29th and they said NO WAY .. but they could put me in for Dec 8th ??

This is the first time in all my years to be put off for that long. Most times 2-3 days at most. I understand that there is a Holiday .. in the mix .. but come on NINE working days ?? Guess I better call in for the final now :grin:

Also, the town has full time inspectors .. not like some with part timers.

Any NJ guys or anyone else ever have this happen ? First for us :confused:

You call in the day before, by 4:00 PM, we will be out there the next day. Now the problem seems to be that people will call on Saturday or Sunday and we don't show up until Tuesday, because they are not thinking working days.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

Two days is the longest I have waited for an inspection

Many NJ municipalities are experiencing the same thing. Due to budgetary constraints most all of them have been forced to scale back the manpower, put everyone on furlough for a period of time, or go to a 4 day week. Either way, it spells a reduction of services and large backlogs. I've definitely noticed it more this year than previous years, after the shake-up in Trenton.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Ken In NJ View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has had a LONG wait after calling in for an inspection, to get one.

Called today 11/23 hoping to get a rough inspection on Monday the 29th and they said NO WAY .. but they could put me in for Dec 8th ??

This is the first time in all my years to be put off for that long. Most times 2-3 days at most. I understand that there is a Holiday .. in the mix .. but come on NINE working days ?? Guess I better call in for the final now :grin:

Average 2 days, longest 3 days...nowadays, around here inspectors are sitting around waiting for something to inspect
    Estimates can't be free, they're costing me everyday...

The way things are, and the jobs that I've seen lately - its not uncommon to have those rough-in production numbers down and know, to call in...
    nothin personal!

We have Phone-in-Service and with "Weekend" considerations in play...

If it's a State job in most cases they will give one their, "I'll be back in town when statement..."

Even as Bad as it is, I can't believe sometimes where as far out as a budget item might be, they (any) State, forgets that construction leads to commerce!
    If your even thirsty, your two quarts low.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Moore View Post
    Average 2 days, longest 3 days...nowadays, around here inspectors are sitting around waiting for something to inspect
    Amen to that, but you really get your monies worth now days.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyjwc View Post
    Amen to that, but you really get your monies worth now days.
    Thats a good thing, Right?
    Estimates can't be free, they're costing me everyday...

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Moore View Post
    Thats a good thing, Right?
    I actually believe it is. You should have more time to do it right and I have more time to look at it and make sure you did.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10

Quote Originally Posted by Ken In NJ View Post

By NJ state construction code law they are required to give you an inspection within 3 business days,
    CHAPTER 23. UNIFORM CONSTRUCTION CODE
    SUBCHAPTER 2. ADMINISTRATION AND ENFORCEMENT; PROCESS
    N.J.A.C. 5:23-2

2. Inspections shall be performed within three business days of the time for which it was
    requested. The work shall not proceed in a manner which will preclude the inspection until it has
    been made.

Call Susan down in Trenton and I am sure you will get your inspection the next day.
    Last edited by robwire; 11-23-10 at 08:52 PM.