Seu cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky62

Hi ,
i `am doing a service upgrade100-200 amps, pretty much a straight foward Service.. meter outside Main inside.
My question and delema is that i have to go thru a unfinished crawl area about ten feet and then go thru to the original outside wall of the house under the crawl area right into the panel ,can i still use 4/0 seu service cable under the house? strap to the original brick wall?
The owner finished off his front porch as a extesion of his living room and closed in the portion under that room as a outside storage area with a access door outside .
Thanks!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
:) a simple question which becomes complicated.....Lots of variables depending on your Code cycle and rules in your jurisdiction. Answers here may vary greatly.
The distance an unprotected SE cable can run once it penetrates the outside wall is a AHJ call based on 230.70(A)(1). The distance the cable is allowed to travel inside the structure unprotected is a local call.
Also, depending on how much of the cable is "interior" and how your AHJ enforces 338.10(B)(4) in the '08 Code, 4/0 AL may not be adequate for 200 amps.

In addition your brick wall may play a part. In TN it is against State Code to fasten SE to an exterior masonry wall.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
IMO,You cannot use SEU in this application because you would need a disconnect either outside or at a point nearest the point of entrance to the building. Art. 230.70(A)(1)

Status
Not open for further replies.