Labeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo123

When you have 70e labeling done how are the mcc panels labeled ? are all buckets labeled for the different hrc ? Or is it complient with 70e to use one label on a mcc ?

If the mcc has one label and it is with the highest hrc will we have to use that level of ppe on all the buckets ?

Besides a oneline and labeling what should we recieve with the analysis of our site ? We want to besure it is complete.

When the qaulify people are determine how much electrical work are they to do without going out of complience withn nfpa ?

The workers here are unsure of the way things have turned out after their survey and feel they have been short changed on the work performed .

Last edited:

zog

When you have 70e labeling done how are the mcc panels labeled ? are all buckets labeled for the different hrc ? Or is it complient with 70e to use one label on a mcc ?

If they are all the same, and they usually are, you can use one label as long as it is "clearly visible" from all the buckets. But it is much better to label each one.

If the mcc has one label and it is with the highest hrc will we have to use that level of ppe on all the buckets ?
Yes

Besides a oneline and labeling what should we recieve with the analysis of our site ? We want to besure it is complete.
The analysis should include all modes of operation of your system and mitigation recommendations for your higher HRC areas. If they just ran the numbers and printed labels, they are not doing it the best way but all they are required to do is meet the spec you had them bid on, and if they were low bidder you may have got your moneys worth.

When the qaulify people are determine how much electrical work are they to do without going out of complience withn nfpa ?
Read the FAQ on "Qualified person" here http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=99114

The workers here are unsure of the way things have turned out after their survey and feel they have been short changed on the work performed .
Why?

jimbo123

Some workers are not happy with results of the survey because all of the motor control cabinets are rated with the same hrc . They feel there should different hrc for each , there is no solid reasoning behind it just there opinion.

I like thank everyone for there help . Zog you posted alot of important information for us and I know it took alot of your time , we all thank you.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Some workers are not happy with results of the survey because all of the motor control cabinets are rated with the same hrc . They feel there should different hrc for each , there is no solid reasoning behind it just there opinion.

I like thank everyone for there help . Zog you posted alot of important information for us and I know it took alot of your time , we all thank you.
The available fault current on the line side of the bucket is close the the same for every bucket in the line-up, so the incident energy and required PPE is the same. Yes there will be some differences as a result of the differing size of conductors between the bucket stabs and the bucket OCPD, but with the very short length of these conductors, they many not limit the current enough to reduce the required PPE. From a worker compliance point, it is probably better that all of the buckets in the same MCC have the same required PPE.

brian john

And if everyone protects themselves at the highest level posted, what would be the issue? Surely they would not change PPE attire based on different MCC buckets they are required to work on?

jimbo123

I can see a problem with the differrent level of people doing electrical work and machine operators who want to just lock out a bucket, they don't have the required ppe for a hrc2 or higher. Many machine operators .

zog

I can see a problem with the differrent level of people doing electrical work and machine operators who want to just lock out a bucket, they don't have the required ppe for a hrc2 or higher. Many machine operators .

They need training too. They will need to be trained to meet the 70E requirements, but thier training can be task specific to be qualified to perform that specific task, they will need PPE though.

Or,, you do like most plants (Everyone has this same delimia) and change your policies on who is allowed to LOTO a MCC (Or any other electrical tasks too).

zog

The only door closed switch or breaker operation (which I believe would cover LOTO) that is classified HRC 2 in T130.7(C)(9) would be for gear 1kv to 38kv.

THe OP has done an arc flash analysis and identified the hazard level and therefore can no longer use the task tables. Even with the task tables the label should state the highest HRC task if other tasks are possible in that equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.