proper wiring of a 220V GFCI breaker when no neutral is available

Status
Not open for further replies.
we have a pond area at an HOA that only has a 2 conductor 220V supply from the main panel (200 ft away). the pumps are 220v and we can install a 220v transformer and 220v clock timer to drive the led lights. the benefit of this being that we do not need 110v here. we have also installed a gnd rod locally

The question is what is the proper way to wire in the 220v GFCI breakers at this local subpanel. one electrician is telling us that the breaker does not need a neutral wire , it can use the gnd wire. i believe that , in theory, this GFCI is comparing the current difference on L1 and L2 and if that difference gets too high (ie current is flowing through a duck in the pond) it will trip. i believe the gnd or neutral connection is to provide power for the sensing circuitry in the device? in any case, is to safe to simply wire the device to our local ground. Our main goal here is to avoid trenching for a new run of a neutral from the main panel.

iwire

Staff member
In my opinion you cannot connect the white wire from the breaker to the grounding conductor.

It seems you may need to install a 240 to 240/120 transformer at the remote location to supply the panel or replace the feeder.

jumper

In my opinion you cannot connect the white wire from the breaker to the grounding conductor.

It seems you may need to install a 240 to 240/120 transformer at the remote location to supply the panel or replace the feeder.

:happyyes:

May have to replace the feeder any how. 2 conductor and only a ground rod? I wonder if there is an EGC?

Status
Not open for further replies.