Insulated Boots or Mats

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikecj

Everyone,

We had an interesting discussion this afternoon with a contractor. We have an outdoor application that would normally call for dielectric boots. The contractor wishes to use insulated mats and safety shoes in lieu of the dielectric boots.

I can see their point. The work takes place along an electrical right of way. It is likely that the boots will be damaged quickly. However, I wonder how much protection the safety shoes will provide if they venture off the mat.

I'd like to get your opinion.

Thanks,

MikeCJ

wtucker

The contractor wishes to use insulated mats and safety shoes in lieu of the dielectric boots.

Check the label on the safety shoe to make sure it's rated "EH." Then check the mat to ensure that it's rated for the voltage and that it's been tested within a year, and do a visual inspection for obvious damage.

"EH" safety shoes are initially tested with 14kV, 60 Hz for 60 seconds. "EH" shoes are not intended for use in wet locations, but dielectric boots are. Neither shoes nor dielectric boots are required to be re-tested, but standards required that they by inspected for excessive wear by the user before donning.

I should think that a relatively undamaged pair of "EH" shoes worn atop a rated, tested mat in dry weather might do the job--depending on the job. Check for sharp objects before laying the mat down.

Status
Not open for further replies.